English is one of the most fascinating subjects that is liked by all students. The subject covers many interesting stories and prose that talks about different concepts in detail. The central Board of Secondary Education has released the revised syllabus for CBSE Class 9 English for the academic session 2022-23. So, CBSE Class 9 students are suggested to follow this latest CBSE Class 9 English Syllabus to prepare for their exam in the appropriate manner and score excellent marks.
Significance of CBSE Class 9 Syllabus
The CBSE Syllabus for Class 9 theory as well as practicals is crucial in Class 9. Here are a few points which help students understand the benefit of knowing the CBSE Class 9 Syllabus.
- It helps students to prepare a proper study plan.
- It gives students an idea about the exam paper pattern and distribution of marks.
- The CBSE 9th class syllabus provides an overview of important topics and sub-topics.
- It helps in tracking the topics that students have completed.
- Being thorough with the exam syllabus will make the students all the more confident.
CBSE Class 9 English 2023 Syllabus Marking Scheme
Given below is the section-wise marks distribution:
Class 9 English CBSE Syllabus Section A – Reading Skills
Reading Comprehension through Unseen Passage
- Discursive passage of 400-450 words
- Case-based passage
Multiple Choice Questions / Objective Type Questions will be asked to assess inference, analysis, interpretation, evaluation and vocabulary.
CBSE Class 9 Syllabus for English Section B – Writing Skills with Grammar
- verb concord
- Reported speech
- Commands and requests
Creative Writing Skills
This section will have short as well as long writing tasks including compositions.
- Writing a Descriptive Paragraph
- Writing a Diary Entry/ Story
Class 9 English CBSE Syllabus Section C – Literature Textbook & Supplementary Reader
1. Reference to the Context
(i) One extract out of two from Drama / Prose
(ii) One extract out of two from poetry
Multiple Choice Questions / Objective Type Questions
2. Short & Long Answer Questions
i) Four out of Five Short Answer Type Questions
(ii) Two out of Three Short Answer Type Questions
(iii) One out of two Long Answer Type Questions from Beehive to be answered in about 100-120 words to assess creativity, imagination, and extrapolation beyond the text and across the texts.
(iv) One out of two Long Answer Type Questions from Moments on theme or plot involving interpretation.
Best Books for Class 9 English CBSE Syllabus 2023
- The Fun They Had
- The Sound of Music
- The Little Girl
- A Truly Beautiful Mind
- The Snake and the Mirror
- My Childhood
- Reach for The Top
- If I were You
- The Road Not taken
- Rain on The Roof
- The Lake Isle of Innisfree
- A Legend of The Northland
- No Men Are Foreign
- On killing a tree
- A Slumber Did My Spirit Seal
- The Lost Child
- The adventures of Toto
- Iswaran the Storyteller
- In the kingdom of fools
- The Happy Prince
- The Last Leaf
- A House is not a Home
- The Beggar
CBSE Class 9 English 2023 Syllabus: Topics and Types of Questions
Students can have a look at the sections and topics required for completing the English Language and Literature Syllabus from the table below:
|B||Writing Skills with Grammar||40|
|C||Literature Textbooks and Supplementary Reading Text||50|
Section A: Reading – 20 Marks
The section will have two unseen passages with a maximum word limit of 750 words.
Objective Type Questions (including Multiple Choice Questions), and Very Short Answer Type Questions will be asked to test inference, evaluation, analysis, and vocabulary in context.
Section B: Writing Skills – 25 Marks
This section will have a variety of short and long writing tasks.
- Notice Writing
- Dialogue Writing
- Informal Letter
Section C: Grammar – 10 Marks
- Subject-verb concord
- Reporting (i) Commands and requests (ii) Statements (iii) Questions
- Clauses: (i) Noun clauses (ii) Adverb clauses (iii) Relative clauses
Section D: Literature Textbook – 25 Marks
- Two out of three extracts from prose/poetry for reference to the context. Very Short Answer Questions will be asked
- Five Short Answer type questions out of six from the Literature Reader to test local and global comprehension of themes and ideas
- One out of two Long Answer Type Questions
Prescribed Books for Class 9 English CBSE:
Interact in English Series by CBSE
NCERT Solutions Class 9 English CBSE Syllabus
Class 9 English Prose – Chapter-Wise
- Chapter-1 The Fun They Had
- Chapter-2 The Sound Of The Music
- Chapter-3 The Little Girl
- Chapter-4 A Truly Beautiful Mind
- Chapter-5 The Snake And The Mirror
- Chapter-6 My Childhood
- Chapter-7 Packing
- Chapter-8 Reach For The Top
- Chapter-9 The Bond Of Love
- Chapter-10 Kathmandu
Class 9 English Poems – Chapter-Wise
- Chapter-1 The Road Not Taken
- Chapter-2 Wind
- Chapter-3 Rain On The Roof
- Chapter-4 The Lake Lsle Of Lnnisfree
- Chapter-5 A Legend Of The Northland
- Chapter-6 No Men Are Foreign
- Chapter-7 The Duck And The Kangaroo
- Chapter-8 On Killing A Tree
- Chapter-9 The Snake Trying
- Chapter-10 A Slumber Did My Spirit Seal
Class 9 English MOMENTS – Chapter-Wise
- Chapter-1 The Lost Child
- Chapter-2 The Adventure Of Toto
- Chapter-3 Iswaran The Storyteller
- Chapter-4 In The Kingdom Of Fools
- Chapter-5 The Happy Prince
- Chapter-6 Weathering The Storm In Ersama
- Chapter-7 The Last Leaf
- Chapter-8 A House Is Not A Home
- Chapter-9 The Accidental Tourist
- Chapter-10 The Beggar
FAQs on CBSE Class 9 English Syllabus 2023
1. Will CBSE conduct CBSE Class 9 Exam 2023 annually?
Yes, CBSE has recently announced that from the next session CBSE will conduct annual board exams.
2. Has the CBSE Class 9 curriculum changed?
There is no such deduction for the current academic year 2022-23. Students taking the Class 9 annual examinations must be familiar with the CBSE Class 9 syllabus.
3. Does the 9th-grade curriculum of CBSE have a board exam?
The CBSE board has separated the Class 9 syllabus into various parts using a systematic methodology. Exams will be conducted once at the end of the academic year based on the 2023 revised syllabus.
Check Aakash Visual Stories: