The NTA, preferably known as the National Testing Agency, has recently announced the CUET examination’s marking scheme and exam pattern. This exam was previously called CUCET. It has been planned to be conducted all over our nation, and the students who want to study at prestigious public institutions can opt for this exam. The full form of CUET is the Common University Entrance Test. This exam consists of three sections, namely:
- Section 1: Languages
- Section 2: Domain-Specific
- Section 3: General Test
Although, as per the recent news, there will be 4 Sections from CUET 2022, splitting the Languages section into two parts:
- Section I A – 13 Languages
- Section I B – 19 Languages
- Section II – 27 Domain-specific Subjects
- Section III – General Test
Both Section 1 and 2 have 50 questions each. Meanwhile, the last section, the general test section, consists of 75 questions.
This article will talk deeply about the examination and how the marks are distributed along with the exam pattern.
Latest update on CUET 2022
The students should get to know about the latest update on the revised exam pattern and the exam duration. It will provide them with an overall idea of the exam and help them enhance their preparation strategy.
According to the latest update of CUET 2022, the entrance exam will be conducted in two slots. The first slot’s duration is 45 to 195 minutes, and for the second one, it will be 45 to 225 minutes.
Below-provided tabulation gives details about the revised exam pattern of CUET 2022:
|CUET Exam Pattern 2022|
|Sections||Subjects or Tests||No. of questions||To be attempted||Duration|
|Section I A||13 Languages||50||40 in each language||45 minutes for each language|
|Section I B||19 Languages|
|Section II||27 Domain-specific Subjects||50||40||45 minutes for each subject|
|Section III||General Test||75||60||60 minutes|
Section I: Languages
There will be two parts in Section 1. The main purpose of this section is to test the candidates’ level of command over the language.
Section I A of the CUET 2022 contains 13 languages, which are mentioned below:
In Section 1 A, the candidates will be obligated to attempt 40 questions out of 50. And the duration for each language would be 45 minutes. Most questions are from reading comprehension, and they will be of various passages (narrative, literary and factual). Hence, it is fundamental for the students to possess excellent reading and understanding skills.
Watch our video on Last Minute Preparation Tips & Tricks for CUET 2022 | CUET Exam Taking Strategy | Aakash BYJU’S
The candidates can take up to a maximum of 3 languages combined from both the parts. One of the chosen languages should be in lieu of the domain-specific subjects.
- The students can expect 5-8 reading comprehension questions with a word limit of around 400 to 450 words.
- In order to master the reading comprehension section, the students are advised to go through the editorial section in newspapers and various novels.
- The type of comprehension questions might be very different.
- The candidates should learn to skip time-consuming questions.
In addition to that, there will be 19 questions in Section I B. CUET aspirants can choose any of the following languages according to their choice:
Reading comprehension, vocabulary, synonyms & antonyms, verbal ability, choosing the correct answer, grammar questions, etc., are some of the question types one can expect on their examination in this section.
Section II: Domain-specific Subjects
Below-mentioned is the domains present in the Domain-specific Subjects section of the CUET exam:
- Accountancy/ Book-Keeping
- Biology/ Biological Studies
- Business Studies
- Computer Science/ Informatics Practices
- Economics/ Business Economics
- Engineering Graphics
- Home Science
- Geography/ Geology
- Knowledge Tradition and Practices of India
- Environmental Science
- Legal Studies
- Political Science
- Fine Arts/ Visual Arts (Sculpture/ Painting) /Commercial Arts
- Mass Media/ Mass Communication
- Physical Education/ NCC/ Yoga
- Teaching Aptitude
- Performing Arts
- Dance (Odissi/ Bharatanatyam/ Kathakali/ Kathak/ Kuchipudi/ Manipuri)
- Drama – Theatre
- Music General (Hindustani/ Non-Percussion/ Carnatic/ Percussion/ Rabindra/ Sangeet)
- Sanskrit [For all Shastri (Shastri 4 years/ 3 years Honours) Equivalent to B.A./B.A. Honours courses, i.e. Dharmashastra, Prachin Vyakarana, Paurohitya (Karmakand), Navya Vyakarana, Shastri in Veda, Vastu Shastra, Sahitya, Puranetihas, Prakrit Bhasha, Jain Darshan, Phalit Jyotish, Siddhant Jyotish, Mimansa, Prachin Nyaya Vaisheshik, Vishishtadvaita Vedanta, Sarva Darshan, Sankhya Yoga, Advaita Vedanta, a candidate may choose Sanskrit as the domain]
The candidates are given a choice to pick any 6 domains to study for the exam if they choose 2 languages in the language section. However, if they have chosen 3 languages, they can omit one domain and pick any 5 from the above.
Also See: CUET 2022 Syllabus
Key points of the CUET 2022 examination
The following are some of the key take-away points one should know about the CUET exam:
- Based on the subjects selected by the students, the CUET 2022 will take place in two different places as it has 2 slots.
- The students are allowed to take up to a maximum of 4 tests in Slot 1. It will be conducted in the morning. They include 1 language from Section I A, a maximum of 2 domain-specific subjects from Section II and 1 General Test from Section III.
- The CUET 2022 candidates can take up the subject in Slot 2, held in the afternoon. It can be done in a below-given manner.
- Maximum of 3 domain-specific subjects in Section II and 2 languages from Section I A and B combined.
- Maximum of 4 domain-specific subjects in Section II and 1 language from Section I A and B combined.
CUET 2022 Exam Pattern
The following will provide the details regarding the exam pattern of CUET 2022:
|Section||Subjects/ Tests||Questions to
|Section I A
|Any of the 13 languages can be chosen||40 out of 50 questions need to be attempted||Language is tested through Reading Comprehension (various types of passages, namely Literary, Factual and Narrative) [Literary Aptitude and Vocabulary]||45 Minutes for each language|
|Section I B
|Any other language apart from the ones offered in Section I A can be chosen. There are 19 languages.|
|Section II – Domain-specific test||27 domain-specific subjects are provided in this section. A candidate can choose up to a maximum of 6 domains.||40 out of 50 questions need to be attempted||MCQs based on NCERT Class 12 syllabus only||45 Minutes for each domain-specific subjects|
|Section III –
|Any university uses a general test for its undergraduate program admissions.||60 out of 75 questions need to be attempted||General Knowledge, Numerical Ability, General Mental Ability, Current Affairs, Quantitative Reasoning (Simple application of mathematical concepts), Logical and Analytical Reasoning||60 Minutes|
Salient Features of CUET
The tabulation provided below explains the salient features of the CUET 2022 examination:
|Mode of the Test||Computer-Based Test (CBT)|
|Test Pattern||Multiple Choice Questions|
|Medium of exam||13 languages (Tamil, Telugu, English, Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Odia, Bengali, Marathi, Gujarati, Assamese, Punjabi and Urdu)|
|Syllabus||Section I A & I B: Languages are tested through Reading Comprehension (various types of passages, namely Literary, Factual and Narrative) [Literary Aptitude and Vocabulary]|
|Section II: MCQs based on NCERT Class 12 syllabus only|
|Section III: General Knowledge, Numerical Ability, General Mental Ability, Current Affairs, Quantitative Reasoning (Simple application of mathematical concepts), Logical and Analytical Reasoning|
Exam structure of CUET 2022
The CUET examination is held in 2 slots, named Slot 1 and Slot 2. Let us see how it is being conducted from the following tabulations:
|Subject/Test||No. of questions to be attempted||Duration of exam|
|Language (choose any one of the 13 languages opted in Section I A)||40 out of 50||45 minutes per language|
|Domain-Specific Subjects (maximum of 2 subjects)||40 out of 50||45 minutes per subject|
|General Test||60 out of 75||60 minutes|
|Test/Subjects||No. of questions to be attempted||Duration of exam|
|Language (choose any one of the remaining 12 languages opted in Section I A (only if one has already been taken in slot 1) and 1 from Section I B – as applicable)||40 out of 50||45 minutes per language|
|Domain-Specific Subjects (Max. 4 subjects)||40 out of 50||45 minutes per subject|
CUET 2022 Marking Scheme
Having an understanding of the marking scheme is essential for the CUET 2022 exam. The students should know that the marking system for both the slots (Slot 1 and Slot 2) is the same.
However, in order to obtain good marks, the candidates should prepare well before the exam. They can make a list of topics they need to study for the exam and cover them one by one by learning constantly. In addition, there are many learning techniques they can use, along with some tips and strategies.
Let us see how NTA grades the CUET aspirants:
- Correct Answer: 1 marks will be awarded
- Wrong Answer: 0.25 mark will be deducted
- No Answer: 0 marks awarded/deducted
The students should be very careful regarding the negative marking. They should attend to the questions that they know very well and leave the unknown because at least it does not deduct marks.
FAQs on CUET Marking Scheme and Paper Patter
1. How many universities consider this exam?
The UGC has decided to consider this exam for getting admission into the government colleges for UG students. As of now, this exam has been mandated in 45 central universities of India. It is expected to increase further in the upcoming years. The main objective of this exam is to create a common pathway for UG students to pursue their dream at reputed institutions at low costs.
2. What is the age limit considered for writing the CUET exam?
Since there is nothing mentioned regarding the age limit, the only practical qualification is to finish grade 12 or an equivalent examination. However, it depends from institution to institution. Some universities might expect age criteria, and some do not. Therefore, anyone eager to kickstart their career and willing to sacrifice their entertainment time for studies can definitely take this exam. They should make sure they prepare well for the exam with sheer determination and utmost dedication in order to pass with flying colours.
In this blog, we have seen everything related to the exam pattern and understood how marking works for the CUET 2022 exam. Now, it is up to the students who are going to appear for the examination. Many have big dreams of studying in India’s most prestigious universities, paying a very low fee. Passing this exam will greatly help anyone who has that dream.
The students can gain all the knowledge related to the CUET exam from this article and start preparing on their own or with the guidance of their mentors or teachers for the exam.