The National Testing Agency (NTA) has recently announced the exam pattern for the CUET examination, previously known as CUCET. The full form of CUET is the Common University Entrance Test. It is conducted all over India to obtain admissions to UG. This examination contains three sections. They are:
- Section 1: Languages
- Section 2: Domain-Specific
- Section 3: General Test
Section 1 comprises 50 questions, whereas the next section, the domain-specific section, contains 50 questions. On the other hand, the last section, the general test section, contains 75 questions.
This article will discuss everything related to the languages sections while giving tips and advice to score well.
CUET 2022 Section 1 Languages: Exam Pattern
Firstly, it is fundamental to know the exam pattern of the CUET Languages section. The candidates will obtain an overall idea after getting familiar with it. It will help them enhance their preparation strategy and secure maximum marks.
According to the latest update of CUET 2022, the entrance exam is expected to be conducted in two slots. The first slot’s duration is 45 to 195 minutes, whereas, for the second slot, it is 45 to 225 minutes.
Let us look at the CUET 2022 exam pattern in the following tabulation:
|CUET Exam Pattern 2022|
|Sections||Subjects or Tests||No. of questions||To be attempted||Duration|
|Section I A||13 Languages||50||40 in each language||45 minutes for each language|
|Section I B||19 Languages|
|Section II||27 Domain-specific Subjects||50||40||45 minutes for each subject|
|Section III||General Test||75||60||60 minutes|
According to the pattern, there will be two parts in section 1. The main objective of this section is to test your language skills and make sure you get hold of it.
The candidates can attempt the CUET question paper in any 13 languages. Those are given below:
In Section 1 A, the students will be asked to attempt 40 of the given 50 questions. The provided duration is 45 minutes for each language. Most questions would be based on reading comprehension, especially on narrative, literary and factual passages. Therefore, the students should possess excellent reading and understanding skills to ace this section.
The students are given a choice to take up to a maximum of 3 languages from Section 1 A and Section 1 B combined. In that, one of the languages is chosen for the domain-specific subjects.
- The candidates can expect 6-8 reading comprehension with a standard work limit of around 400 to 450 words.
- They need to go through editorial parts in newspapers and several novels in order to master the reading comprehension part.
- The type of questions may be completely different.
- The students need to learn to skip time-consuming questions.
In Section 1 B, there will be 19 languages. The students can choose any of these below-mentioned languages given in this section:
Some of the things one can expect in the languages section are vocabulary, reading comprehension, grammar questions, etc.
CUET 2022 Section 1 Languages: Important tips
The students should keep in mind the following things:
- The exam preparation for CUET should be done with utmost dedication and sincerity in order to secure maximum marks.
- The students need to follow a practical preparation strategy to pass the exam successfully.
In addition to that, let us see specific tips that the students should follow for each part in the languages section:
1. Important tips for Reading Comprehension
Understanding and interpreting skills are fundamental to score marks in the reading comprehension section. The candidates should decode what they read and draw connections between what they read and comprehend. After that, they should think deeply to understand what is given effectively. Follow the tips given below for the reading comprehension section:
- Firstly, try to understand the paragraph construction. Most paragraphs consist of an introduction (beginning), a body, and a conclusion (ending). Obviously, the introduction will give an overview of that paragraph. At the same time, the body will contain all the details. Finally, a conclusion paragraph is given to provide a summary of the whole thing.
- Identify the keywords while reading the question and come back to the passage again to locate them.
- Determine what logic you will be using. For instance, examine how the author uses cause and effect reasoning, model construction, hypothesis, deduction or induction, and systems thinking.
- Try to anticipate and make predictions regarding that. You can start by anticipating what the next ideas of the author will be and make inquiries with yourself. If it turns out to be right, it is well and good. However, if it goes wrong, you promptly correct it.
2. Important tips for Verbal Ability
Verbal ability is nothing but the basic ability of a person who can explain his thoughts and ideas clearly in order to make others understand him. It is a very critical component in competitive tests. To master this part, excellent sentence forming skills and vocabulary is fundamental.
- The most vital part of this section is the reading ability. So, start reading from day one of your preparation phase. Try to read novels and magazines for at least 30 minutes each day and note down the complicated words followed by writing their meanings.
- Concentrate on the following things while reading:
- Odd words
- Same word, different spellings
- One word has different meanings
- Sentence completion
- Punctuation, etc.
You should not just know their meanings but also their translation and etymology.
- Another aspect of verbal ability is the idioms, and many candidates struggle with it. To understand the usage of an idiom at a certain place, you should first comprehend its genesis. Idioms have clear meanings, although they do not have literal translations.
3. Important tips for Rearranging the Parts
One of the most fundamental topics asked in the language section is paragraph rearrangement. We can also call it para jumbles. It frequently appears in the CUET exam.
- Read the given sentences and phrases carefully and try to analyse the common point between them. After that, start rearranging them.
- If there is any pattern in the sentence, try referring to them.
- Connect the terms namely but, yet, then, when, they, anyway, etc. It will give an idea of how the sentences can be rearranged in a more clear way.
- If you have a larger vocabulary, it will be easy to answer the questions quickly.
4. Important tips for Choose the Correct Words
There are many choices given in this section. The candidates have to choose the right one wisely by thinking deeply. They can use the following tips to get more marks in this section.
- Initially, read the passage carefully and try to comprehend the meaning.
- After that, find out the incorrect choices and eliminate them.
- There are many options that look similar, but only one of them is right. So, try to find which one is correct.
- If it is hard to choose one, then take some time to read the question again and think deeply to comprehend what it is talking about.
- Now, try to pick out the most obvious answer that comes to your mind right after re-reading.
- In case it takes more time to think and answer, move on to other questions or try to finish straightforward questions.
- Some indirect questions are asked in this section, so you should be ready for that.
- You can do online mock tests and quizzes to practice as much as possible. It will help you read and answer the questions faster and more confidently.
5. Important tips for Synonyms and Antonyms
Synonyms indicate when two words have the same or similar meaning, whereas antonyms mean two words have completely different or opposite meanings. A student should have a larger vocabulary in order to master this section. The following are some of the strategies one could use while answering this section:
- While preparing for this section, try to read many magazines and articles and write down the unknown words and search for their meanings using an online dictionary.
- To figure out the meaning of the words, you should break them into sections.
- Before making the decision, try to examine all the possibilities.
- If it contains higher-level vocabulary and you are stuck figuring out the meaning, then try to read the full sentence again from another perspective.
- In case you cannot decide between two answers, choose the one that matches the degree of the question.
- Always keep an eye out for similar words because they need not necessarily provide the same meaning. Sometimes it gets tricky but always be prepared for that.
6. Important tips for Vocabulary
The vocabulary section needs constant practice, and one cannot master it in a single sitting. It needs consistent efforts and patient learning. The more words you know, the easier it gets to comprehend difficult words and complex sentences so that you can use them wisely in appropriate places. Use the below-mentioned techniques to obtain good marks:
- Read as much as you can. The simplest way to learn new vocabulary is by reading complex articles and novels.
- Note down the complex words and write the meanings near to them. Try to form a sentence on your own using those complex words. It will help you understand their exact meaning and how and where to use them.
- Try to use those words in daily conversations. For instance, learn five words a day and try using them while talking to your friends or neighbours.
- Doing all of these will automatically widen your vocabulary and help you understand complex sentences while will eventually help you score better marks in this section.
Watch our video on How is Aakash BYJU’S helping students prepare for CUET (Science UG) 2022?
1. What is the maximum number of languages one should select for the exam?
Students can choose up to 2 languages in Section 1 A and 1 B combined. They should also pick any 6 domain-specific subjects and a general test.
They can choose a maximum of 3 languages from Sections 1 A and B and choose 5 domain subjects and a general test.
2. Who can take the CUET 2022 examination?
The candidates who have secured at least 50 % marks in their Class 12 (General category) and those who secured a minimum of 45 % marks (SC/ST category) can give this exam.
3. What are the pass marks of CUET?
The passing marks of CUET is 60%. However, students must score at least 45% in the class 12 exams to pass CUET. To score these many marks, aspirants must score more in the individual section of the CUET exam.
To summarise, the CUET exam candidates should be well aware of their level in English and practice accordingly. For instance, if you are an intermediate speaker, you can try to improve it with various techniques to reach an advanced level.
However, before everything, the students should have knowledge of the exam pattern and follow the important preparation as well as exam tips provided in this blog. It will significantly help them attain their desired score.