World Heart Day 2022: The World Heart Foundation selected 29th September as World Heart Day to raise awareness of the cardiovascular disease (CVD) around the globe. Heart disease continues to be the number one cause of death in many countries, so it’s important to identify any concerns and maintain a healthy heart. As heart-related illnesses are a worldwide concern, this global event serves as a united movement to achieve victory over cardiovascular ailments.
Activities that have a positive impact on our overall health awareness ― runs, walks, concerts, fund-raising and sporting events, free health checks ― are carried out extensively on this day.
Read on this blog to know all about World Heart Day, the theme for this year, and how you can work towards maintaining a healthy heart.
Theme for World Heart Day 2022
Each year World Heart Day is celebrated with some special theme, and the theme of World Heart Day this year is “Cardiovascular Health for Everyone”. This theme is geared towards bringing people together to fight against various heart diseases like heart attacks, congenital health diseases, high blood pressure, and more.
Healthy Habits Means a Healthy Heart
It is always said that you must have healthy habits to have a healthy heart. If you don’t have healthy habits, this is the time for you to inculcate those. Eating nutritious food, drinking plenty of water, exercising regularly, and taking adequate sleep are healthy habits that you should never abandon. Your body heals itself when you take proper rest. So, sleeping less also harms your heart. Maintaining an acceptable BMI range also contributes to a healthy heart.
Visual Story on Tips to Prevent Heart Diseases
Worst Foods for Your Heart Health
Any food item that raises cholesterol levels in your body is going to impact your heart. As per studies and research, consuming high amounts of salt, sugar, saturated fat, and refined carbs raises your risk of a heart attack or stroke. Studies also suggest some of the food items to keep off your food list for a healthy heart, such as bacon, red meat, white rice, bread, pasta, baked products, soda, pizza, and processed meats. Avoid or limit alcohol intake as it raises heart problems.
Visual Story on Cardiac Arrest, Heart Attack and Heart Failure
Increase Your Activity Level
It is good to become active to keep your heart healthy. If you cannot indulge yourself in any other activity, make sure to walk a little, practice some yoga, and get enrolled in yoga or Zumba classes. Use whatever style suits you the best. Apart from blood circulation, exercising will help release endorphins helping you to reduce stress.
There are several ways to integrate incremental changes throughout the day that will help you be more active. Here are some of the things you can try out:
- Get your body moving
- Pick up the pace when you’re on a walk, with yourself and your friends.
- Sign up for a workout class.
- ·Before you shower, take a few minutes to do simple exercises like jumping jacks, squats, wall sits, push-ups, or planks.
Stress increases blood pressure, thereby affecting your heart. It could stem from work-related stress, issues within the family, your health, political climate, or just watching too many TV news channels. You need to reduce stress on your own by getting yourself involved in several activities.
There are numerous stress busters at hand for you some of them are:
- Listen to your favorite music
- Read the kind of novels you enjoy
- Watch comedy movies or shows
- Indulge yourself in some meditation
- Play some physically demanding games
- Do some deep breathing exercises
- Stretching exercises increase the circulation of the blood
- Reduce screen time, especially before bedtime
- Take a relaxing soak in the tub with bath salts
Importance of a Balanced Diet for a Healthy Heart
Keep your heart healthy by sticking to a diet that incorporates fruits and vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy, and omega-3 fatty acids. Go easy on the deep-fried, swimming in ghee or oil kind of food. Soups made from vegetable, fish, or white meat stock are excellent sources of nutrition while being delicious too. Vegetables like cabbages, broccoli, leafy greens, all kinds of berries, various kinds of beans, citrus fruits, and foods rich in antioxidants are good for your heart’s health. Also, make sure to take a sufficient quantity of fiber in your food as it helps in cleansing your blood.
How to Keep Yourself Involved on This World Heart Day?
Getting Involved in World Heart Day 2022
You can participate in various World Heart Day campaigns to share your bit. Showing how you care for your heart can compel others to act wisely. Here’s what you can do to celebrate World Heart Day.
- Spread awareness about why the day is celebrated and how it can help you
- Contribute to a healthier planet in the form of funds, charity, etc.
- Protect individual Heart Health by eating the right kind of food and indulging in several activities
World Heart Day 2022: Quotes
- “A good heart is a beautiful home where you can always find peace!”
- · “When you have heart disease, you start to be tired of everything. It’s like getting older. You become more white, and after that, grey. You have no feeling for anything.”
- “Heart disease is a food-borne illness.”
- “The most important thing in illness is never to lose heart.”
Check Aakash Visual Stories