The NTSE 2022 was conducted by the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) to identify students who want to engage in higher education in the Social and Science streams every year. The NTSE has a two-stage process:
- State-level examination (Stage I)
- National-level examination (Stage II)
The syllabus and the exam pattern are the same in both stages, but the difficulty level is higher in the NTSE stage II.
Top 1000 students are granted scholarships after they qualify for stages I and II. It is essential to study wisely to succeed in the NTSE exam. It has two categories: MAT and SAT. The exam needs to be solved in 2 hours, and a maximum of 100 marks can be obtained from each section.
|No. of questions
|Paper 1 MAT
|Paper 2 SAT
|Science, Social science, Maths
|100 (Sc-40, S.sc- 40, Maths-20)
- The students are awarded one mark for each correct answer and no negative marking for any wrong answers.
- The exam is for two hours and includes only multiple-choice questions.
- A minimum of 40 percent is required for general category students, 32 percent for all SCs and STs and other reserved classes.
Preparation tips for NTSE
Know your syllabus
Before starting with the preparation, it is essential to gather all the related information for the NTSE syllabus. Candidates can visit the official website, check the syllabus, and learn the distribution of marks section. Teachers suggest that students should keep the syllabus handy to not miss important points while preparing.
|NTSE MAT syllabus
|Coding-Decoding, Blood Relations, Venn Diagrams, Ranking and Arrangement, Distance and Direction, Word Problems etc.
|NTSE Social Science Syllabus
|French Revolution, Indus Valley civilisation, Indian Freedom Struggle, World War I and II, Natural Vegetation, Maps & Globe, Climate, Solar System, Indian Constitution, Judiciary, Indian Government
|NTSE Science Syllabus
|Reproduction, Measurements, Carbon and Compounds, Work and Energy, Motion Force, Source of Energy, Base & Salt, Acid, Metal & Non-Metals.
|NTSE Maths Syllabus
|Arithmetic Progressions, Number Systems, Percentage, Linear Equations, Quadratic Equations, Square Roots, Triangle, Simple & Compound Interest, Surface Areas etc
Solve previous year’s question papers
To understand the sorts of questions asked in the NTSE test, students must download and solve previous years’ question papers. Solving last year’s problems will assist students in determining the difficulty level of the paper. In addition, answering previous years’ papers will put a student in a better position to take the NTSE examination, boost their confidence, and make the students familiar with the exam pattern, marking scheme, etc.
When appearing for an exam, the most crucial thing is speed. If you cannot complete your test on time, it will lead to a panicky situation. Subjects like Maths and Science are time-consuming and require speed to meet them on time. To ace NTSE, students should tighten their grip on time management. Therefore, it is crucial to appear for mock tests to know the exam pattern and improve accuracy and problem-solving abilities.
Most students who study for competitive examinations think they are well prepared to take the competitive test. However, everything previously learned is often forgotten in seconds on the day of the actual exam. This is due to a tendency to underestimate the difficulty of the questions and the scope of the syllabus as a whole. Mock tests prepare the students for the actual exam providing them with the room to identify their weaknesses and work on them.
Every preparation strategy should include revision. Students can easily forget essential facts if they do not revise. Therefore, students should study the previously covered syllabus before moving on to the next chapter. This will enable the students to keep track of important topics and spare them from last-minute headaches. You can also review important topics by going through the NTSE sample papers.
Making a strategy and a routine and strictly adhering to them can help students pass the exam quickly and effortlessly. Students must practise sums regularly and regularly to excel in the examination. Candidates are advised to develop an appropriate strategy and preparation plan based on the paper’s contents and marks distribution. This will assist students in effectively managing their time and passing the paper with flying colours.
It’s always more enjoyable to study with a bunch of friends. Students of the same age can learn together. Explaining ideas and listening to others’ perspectives provide a wonderful learning experience. This facilitates faster and easier comprehension of the topics. In addition, monotonous topics will become more engaging in group study sessions, allowing students to extend their study schedule.
To ace the NTSE 2022 paper, candidates must develop time management skills. They must create a timetable that includes all of the routine activities and courses in the NTSE curriculum. It helps candidates keep track of their activities and make the best use of their time.
Below mentioned are a few tips to manage your time efficiently while preparing for NTSE
- Use simple and short tricks to solve maths problems.
- Practise the mock papers within the time frame allotted.
- Don’t waste your time sticking to solving a difficult question. It is advisable to move to the next question if you are confused about any question.
- Make a habit of solving mock papers regularly, improving the speed limit.
Small leisure breaks during study hours, such as running, cycling, or playing a 15-minute game, can assist students in refreshing and prepare for the intensive study session. Also, get enough rest, eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, and keep yourself motivated. Students must remember to take nutritious foods while studying because “a healthy mind resides in a healthy body. Eating well will aid in developing a healthy body and mind, allowing the student to focus more on preparing for the exam. These minor details will go a long way toward keeping one healthy, confident, and calm.
List of books for NTSE 2022
- Study package for NTSE class 10 English 1st and 2nd publication
- NTSE Target Class 10 stage 1 & 2 solved papers by Disha Experts.
- A Complete Study Guide NTSE (MAT + SAT) by Arihant Publication
- Package for NTSE Class X by McGraw Hill Publications
Practice Paper NTSE Class X (English) 1st Edition by S L Gulati, Stalin Malhotra, Hari Mohan Prasad
- NTSE Explorer MAT + SAT + New English Language Test for Class X (English) by Sonia Lal
- A Comprehensive NTSE Manual for NTSE for Class X (English) by Access Publishing
Students planning to take the NTSE exam can use these NTSE books to help them prepare. To excel in the NTSE exam, students must be able to comprehend every topic. They must develop their critical thinking skills, an essential element of NTSE exam preparation. Students should use the NTSE books for Class 10 listed in the table to assist them in strengthening their logical thinking abilities, ideas, and basics.
Also see: Foundation programs at Aakash
How to select the right book for NTSE
- The NTSE books should be curriculum-specific, with all NTSE syllabus subjects fully covered.
- The material should be presented in a user-friendly manner so that concepts can be easily absorbed.
- Graphs and graphics are visually appealing and easy to remember. Therefore, the best NTSE 2022 books should have visual content. Choose books that are easy to grasp.
- Solved examples help students understand, and exercises allow them to practise answering various sorts of problems. As a result, the best NTSE books must include solved examples and exercises.
NTSE section-wise preparation tips
Section-wise preparation is important to score good marks.
The NTSE maths paper has 20 questions, each carrying one mark.
- It is essential to finish this section in 24 minutes, i.e. one can spend 1.2 minutes on one question. This will help in keeping those extra 4 minutes for revision.
- To ace the calculations, solve as many previous years’ exam papers as possible.
- Make a formula sheet and have it with you or paste it into the study table in front of you for revision.
- Each formula should be memorised. Learn all of the trigonometric formulas.
- Try to answer other difficult questions as well.
The Science section consists of 40 questions with one mark each. The NTSE syllabus for the Science segment includes questions from Science Class 10th and Class 9th courses. The majority of the questions are taken from NCERT Science Books.
- Students should pay attention to what is being taught in class because the questions on the paper will only cover the foundations.
- Make brief notes on each topic and take down important information taught in class.
- It is important to go through all the chemical equations and chemical formulas every day for a quick revision.
- Practice physics equations and biology diagrams.
- Students are advised to spend 1.2 minutes on each question, totalling 48 minutes for the whole section.
- Students should make a timeline of the historic events and paste in infront of their study table. This is an excellent way for revision.
- Practise maps and diagrams for Geography.
- It is advisable to read newspapers daily and have an idea of the current events in politics to answer the questions with information from real-life events.
Also see: NTSE 2022 Exam
1.What is the benefit of clearing the NTSE?
Scholarships are offered to applicants for courses in sciences and social sciences up to doctorate level and courses such as engineering and medicine up to second-degree level, subject to the fulfilment of the requirements outlined in this brochure. 2000 scholarships are offered. Students who pass the second level are eligible for a scholarship. The scholarship amount has increased to Rs.1250 per month for class XI and XII students and Rs.2000 per month for students pursuing undergraduate and beyond.
2. Is there a scholarship reservation list for NTSE?
Reservation is provided for ST and SC applicants based on national norms of 15% and 7.5 percent, respectively. Only candidates who achieve the minimum qualifying marks in these areas are eligible for a scholarship. Furthermore, there is a 3% allocation for physically disabled students.
3. How long will the candidates get scholarships?
Scholarships up to the PhD level are available to students pursuing Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, Languages, Commerce, and Vocational courses. Scholarships up to the second-degree level are available to awardees attending professional courses in Medicine, Engineering, Technology, Management, and Law.
4. What is the schedule of the NTSE Second Stage paper? Also, what is the prescribed curriculum?
For NTSE Stage Two, there are three papers, each with a time limit: Mental Ability Test of 50 questions (45 minutes), Language Test of 50 questions (45 minutes), and Scholastic Aptitude Test of 100 questions (90 minutes). For each test, three separate OMR sheets will be supplied. The questions will be of secondary level difficulty.
5. What is the best book to study for the NTSE 2022?
Study materials for class 9th and 10th include R.S. Agarwal books, sample exam papers, and your school syllabus. Aside from online study materials, here is a selection of books for further revision;
NTSE Class X (in English) by Pearson Guide
Disha Publications Target NTSE Class 10 Stage 1 & 2 Solved Papers (2015 – 21) + 5 Mock Tests (MAT + SAT) 7th Edition
6. What are some useful tips for preparing for the NTSE 2022?
Prepare a basic overview of the entire exam syllabus. Solve previous year's question papers to understand more about question patterns, etc.; try devoting at least four to five hours to exam preparation. Mock tests can also be used to learn time management.
Students must be diligent in the strategic planning of their education. They must be committed to their studies and prepare thoroughly for the exam. One must study thoroughly before taking this exam if one wants to do well. Exams like the NTSE are a platform for a bright future. The scholarship provided can be a tremendous financial help for any desired education as well as a great confidence booster.