World Environment Day 2023 will be celebrated on 5 June. It is the biggest international day for the environment. The purpose of celebrating this day is to raise awareness among people to protect the environment. It was first started in 1974 with the theme: “Solutions to plastic pollution”. World Environment Day comes annually with a new theme which is assigned by the UN (United Nations).
World Environment Day 2023 Theme
The theme of World Environment day 2023 is “solutions to plastic pollution”, and Côte D’Ivoire would be hosting the same. World Environment Day will be observed, highlighting the need to live sustainably in harmony with nature. This day provides us with an opportunity to take responsible steps to preserve and enhance the environment.
World Environment Day 2023 Significance
This day is celebrated every year to remind people across the globe about the harm we have been causing to our environment, how we have disturbed the natural balance of our environment, and what measures can be taken to reverse the damage.
Let’s look at some of the issues that are faced by the environment in the present day and what can be done to tackle them.
Biggest Environmental Issues of 2023
- Public Health Issue: Dirty water is the biggest health issue. It poses a threat to the quality of life and public health. The majority of people still don’t have access to water and toilets. Over a million people worldwide die from water, hygiene, and sanitation-related diseases, which could be reduced by safe water and sanitation access.
- Ozone Layer Depletion: The ozone layer protects the earth from harmful UV radiation coming from the sun. Its depletion has exposed us to such harmful radiation. We are prone to skin cancers, different types of eye diseases, abnormal growth of certain species, etc.
- Deforestation: Cutting down trees on a large scale poses a major threat to our environment. Forests are natural sinks of Carbon dioxide; they help in regulating temperature and rainfall, etc. If this is not stopped, soil erosion, increased greenhouse gas emissions, irregular rains, and flooding are some of the adverse effects on the environment.
- Global Warming: This occurs when carbon dioxide and other air pollutants get collected in the atmosphere and absorb sunlight and solar radiation emitted from the earth’s surface. All this leads to a rise in the earth’s temperature causing natural disasters such as melting polar ice caps, flooding, droughts, and many others.
5 Simple Ways to Save the Environment
- Say no to plastics. Instead of using plastic bags, use environmentally friendly carry bags, such as bags made of paper (reuse them again and again), biodegradable bags, compostable bags, etc.
- Plant more saplings: Trees play an important role in producing oxygen and absorbing carbon dioxide from the environment. Hence, it is important to make your environment greener around you. Forests play an important role in absorbing and storing water, which prevents flooding of cities and other areas. Preserve and let it protect us in return.
- Waste Segregation: Every day different type of waste are generated in our homes. It is important for us to identify and separate organic and inorganic wastes. For example, dust, aluminum cans, paper waste, and other types of dry waste are classified as inorganic, whereas food waste, fruit waste, and other wet types of waste are classified as organic waste.
- Save Energy: Save electricity by switching off your appliances when they are not in use.
- Adopting alternative sources of energy: Switching to renewable sources of energy will not only save limited natural resources but will also reduce pollution.
Our environment is getting worse with each passing day, and there is a greater need to step up and reverse the harm done before it gets irreversible. World Environment Day reminds us about our obligation to our environment. Let’s pledge to save our Environment, this World Environment Day.
What is the main purpose of World Environment Day?
Led by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and held annually on 5 June 1973, World Environment Day is the largest global platform for environmental public outreach and is celebrated by millions of people across the world.
Who Started Environment Day?
In 1972, the United Nations General Assembly established World Environment Day on the first day of the Stockholm Conference on the Human Environment.
What is the slogan of Environment Day?
World Environment Day 2023 is hosted by Côte D'Ivoire. “solutions to plastic pollution" is the campaign slogan, with the focus on “Living Sustainably in Harmony with Nature.
Is Environment Day necessary to celebrate?
This day acts as a reminder to people to be more considerate and aware of the Earth's existing conditions, in terms of the environment. On World Environment Day, people take action to spread awareness about the environment and also motivate others to do the same, in hopes of creating a better future.
What are the benefits of Earth Day?
More than a billion people celebrate Earth Day to protect the planet from things like pollution and deforestation. By participating in activities like picking up litter and planting trees, we're making our world a happier, healthier place to live.