World Environment Day 2023 will be celebrated on 5 June with the sole purpose of highlighting the importance of saving our precious environment. The theme for World Environment Day 2023 is “#solutions to plastic pollution”. This day was first designated by the UN General Assembly on 5 June 1972 and was first celebrated on 5 June 1974.
We as humans have shattered the normal balance of Earth which is slowly making our environment unfavourable for our survival. Hence, it is our duty to reverse the harm we have done and make our environment favourable.
World Environment Day offers a global platform for inspiring positive change. It also provides us with an opportunity to:
- Rethink how we consume Earth’s finite resources.
- How can businesses develop greener models and transition to a greener economy?
- How can farmers and manufacturers produce sustainably for Governments to invest in repairing and protecting our Environment?
Let’s jump into some of the essay and speech ideas that will help you in writing a good essay on World Environment Day.
World Environment Day 2023: Essay & Speech Ideas
- Start with writing what day it is celebrated, why it is celebrated, and the purpose of its celebration.
- Write in brief about its history, and how and when this day came into existence.
- Don’t forget to mention the roles played by the United Nations in creating awareness about the environment.
- Write the importance of a safe and healthy environment.
- Then highlight the key issues which contribute to harming our environment.
- Conclude by writing down the initiatives taken by various international organisations such as the UN, and our Central & State governments in combating environmental issues.
Importance of World Environment Day
Leaders from around the world gather on this day to discuss the impact of Global Warming on the environment around us. Leaders from reputed academic backgrounds, businesses, scientists, etc., come together and openly put forward their views, experiences, and measures to deal with certain issues.
Some important issues that are discussed on a regular basis are depletion of polar ice caps, rapid increase in ocean water levels, ozone layer depletion in the atmosphere, rise in carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere, pollutants that play a key role in harming our environment, monitoring different initiatives and project undertaken to improve the environment, and a lot more.
What Can We Do to Protect Our Environment?
It is up to us to protect and look after our environment. Let’s see how:
Save Energy: Turn off lights, fans, or any other electrical appliances when there is no need for them.
Use Reusable Items: Replace plastic bags with reusable cloth bags. Plastics take years to decompose and pose a risk of polluting the environment.
Separate and Recycle: Keep organic and inorganic wastes in different containers as their waste treatment process is different. Some examples of inorganic wastes: Aluminium cans, dust, glass, etc. Some examples of organic waste are food waste, fruit waste, etc.
Save Water: Make sure all your taps or water outlets in your home are completely shut off. Since the water crisis is prevailing in certain countries, it is high time we should start putting efforts into saving water.
Keep Your Surroundings Clean: Make sure you put the dry wastes around you in special waste bins provided by your local municipality. The same applies when you visit sea beaches. Mixing of water with oceans or seawater poses a threat to the water ecosystem.
How can you, as a student, contribute to World Environment Day 2023? You can do that by highlighting the importance of World Environment Day through your Essay or Speech. Let your voice be visible through your words and impact everyone who reads or listens to your piece. Go ahead and spread the message with great zeal and passion, and strive to become a responsible citizen.