Do you want to score well in the exams but are easily distracted? Do you always make timetables but find it hard to stick to those? Do you plan to study beforehand for that class test, but never really do that and end up scoring low grades? This article is written for you if you can relate to any of these situations. You will be more motivated to stick to your study plan by the end of the discussion.
13 Effective Ways To Stick To Your Study Plan
- Your study plan should be practical: You can’t expect to stick to your study plan if it directs you to spend most of your time with your head in your books or keeps you away from the things you love doing. It would be best to cut down on your hobbies to make time for your studies, not eliminate them. If you force yourself to follow an unrealistic timetable, it will reap no benefits. You are just going to stress yourself out. Moreover, studying with concentration for a few hours is more effective than sitting the whole day with your books open and daydreaming.
- Note the subjects that you dedicate time to on a daily basis: Evaluate your course and classify the subjects into two categories. One category should contain the subjects you need to study daily, and the other category should mention the subjects for which the allocation of weekly time is enough. For example, for subjects like Mathematics and Physics, a more fundamental understanding of the concepts is required. Also, the syllabus is lengthy, has a high weightage, and lots of concepts need to be covered. So, you need to study those every day. On the other hand, subjects like Civics and General Knowledge are crisp and precise. So, even if you plan to study those for only weekends, you will be able to cover the syllabus in time.
- Consider joining study groups: Studying in a group positively affects many students. The different members of the group keep on pushing each other to study and stick to the plan. Moreover, it creates an atmosphere of competition, where everyone wants to stay on top of the game. We, humans, are competitive by nature. We do not let others move ahead of us without doing anything. If you don’t have study groups in your school or coaching center, you can make the initiative by starting one.
- Start studying: The first step in the process of sticking to your study plan is to start studying. Once you finish a chunk of your target, you will feel more confident. Consider starting with smaller chapters so that you can move on to the bigger ones with a sense of accomplishment. Do not take the stress of studying a lot on a single day. Setting small targets is more achievable than planning to finish all at once.
- Please stop procrastinating: What will you do if you have to prepare for a Maths test and a new episode of Game of Thrones is on air? Most of the students will turn on the TV with the thought of studying later or think that they can study and watch the series simultaneously. Multitasking while studying doesn’t work. Procrastinating and putting off your studies for a later date or time does not work. So, please be smart and make productive use of your time.
- Study regularly: You can not stick to your study plan if you have been ignoring it for a few days. Well, logically, you can, but you won’t. This is because your brain will not support your actions. You will think that you won’t be able to make up for the lost time, so you might as well skip the schedule altogether. The best way to avoid getting into such a situation is to ensure that you study every day. Even if you do not finish your target for the day, you will be hopeful that you can make up for it on a subsequent day. But ignoring your studies completely and losing touch with them for days together pushes you off track, and you do not want that.
- Please do not fall prey to distractions: Do not keep your phone around when it is study time. Checking out your friends’ Instagram photos can wait. Checking out that new video from your favourite YouTuber can wait. But, the study time once wasted is gone forever. Try not to study on electronic devices. If you have to, make a promise to yourself to not open social media apps while you are studying. Try to keep a separate device for studying if you can afford it. For example, if you study on your Ipad or a tablet, do not install unnecessary apps in it that may distract you when you are studying. Also, do not attend to calls you think will take a lot of time while studying.
- Reward yourself whenever you hit a target: If you manage to achieve good results on a class test or spend five hours studying, treat yourself to a bar of chocolate or to an episode of a Tv-series that you love. After each subject, reward yourself by spending a little of your pocket money on something you have wanted for a long time. Watch that football match and satisfy your guilty pleasure if you have been putting it away for a long time to make time for your studies. You deserve some appreciation for your hard work, and if others can not do it for you, do it yourself!
- Do not ignore social life: You may not believe it, but you can manage enough time for your studies and have a social life. All you have to do is be mindful of your activities. After you are done with your day’s target, spend some time playing a football game with your friends. If you are a girl, you can spend some time with your girlfriends gossiping or go on that much-anticipated shopping trip. If you are not interested in any of these, you can go alone for a refreshing walk. Physical activity will boost your mind and help you think positively.
- Study for yourself: Ask yourself why you want to study. Is it because you want to impress your parents with a good grade? Or is it because you want to make your friends jealous? If you want to study to satisfy these reasons, you are not doing it right. The goal of your study should be to have a successful career so that you are successful and independent. Ensure your happiness before mentioning those to others whenever you get good grades.
- Be confident: Confidence is an important tool that helps you navigate difficult life situations, including your academic goals. If you are confident that you can achieve good grades on the exam, you will stick to your study plan with that dream. You will have the will and desire to do better than others, which will help you find new ways to achieve that. Dreams can only be fulfilled if they exist.
- Be thoughtful: Think of the bad and the unpleasant things that will happen to you if you do not stick to your study plan. Think of the way your study plan will help you achieve your academic goals, which will, in turn, help you pursue the career of your choice. Think about why your parents and teachers constantly remind you to study hard. They only want the best for you, so it would be best if you listened to them.
- Take small breaks: Human brain gets exhausted very easily. Research has shown that it is not possible for us to concentrate on a topic for more than an hour. Therefore, taking a break of 10-15 minutes after every hour of intense study will be helpful to refresh your brain and open it to accepting new concepts. Try splashing some water on your face, drinking a cup of coffee, or performing a set of squats if you think it will help you to concentrate better.
If you follow most, if not all, of the ways mentioned above to stick to your study plan, no one can stop you from achieving your dream grades. Stay motivated and keep working hard. You got it!
FAQs about 13 Effective Ways To Stick To Your Study Plan
How to avoid daydreaming while studying?
Consider taking a break from studying. You might be daydreaming because you have been studying for quite some time, and your body needs some rest
Reward yourself every time you hit a target. It might be that you only finished a chapter, but it is always good to appreciate yourself
Listen to some music: Change your mood and lighten the atmosphere with some music
Think about why you are studying. Remember your goals and know that daydreaming won’t help you achieve those.
How do I increase my concentration while studying?
Study in small slots. Take regular breaks to prevent boredom. Instead of studying for five hours at one go, consider breaking those into small slots of one hour each and take fifteen minutes breaks in between
Eat healthy meals and drink enough water. Eating healthy is very important for a healthy brain. You can’t focus if you are hungry or if you eat too much sugar
Have at least 7.5 hours of sleep every night. Your brain needs rest to recharge itself
Avoid falling prey to distractions like social media, tv series, or long chats with friends. You have your whole life left to do all that
Stay away from doing all-nighters. Those are the most inefficient ways to study. You can’t cram the whole course in the span of one night.
How can I avoid feeling sleepy while studying?
Go out for a walk. Staying physically active increases your adrenaline and brings your mind to action. If you don’t feel like going out, do a set of squats or pushups to awaken your brain
Caffeine is your friend, but please do not overdo it
Do not stay up late at night. Sleep is important for staying awake and focused. You need to have 7-8 hours of sleep every night
Take a bath. It will help you to fight against dullness
How can I increase my confidence?
Even if you start with a C grade, don't worry. Keep studying, and you will get there.
Discuss the topic with your friend. You will find many areas in which you are stronger than them
Think of the time you scored well on an exam. If you could do it once, you can do it again
Talk to your parents about your studies often. They love you the most in the world, so they know your strengths and know how to use those to boost your confidence. Also, they will be able to guide you through their experience
Whenever you finish a chapter, solve questions related to it. When you see yourself solving the questions with ease, your confidence will go up automatically.
Ask questions in the class whenever you have doubts. It will bring you to your teachers’ notice and let them know that you are being attentive. They will appreciate you, which will increase your confidence
Leave a Reply