NEET 2022 Registration has begun, and NTA has also announced the NEET 2022 Exam Date. The exam is scheduled for the 17th of May, 2022. Students who wish you to score exceedingly well in the same must leave no stone unturned. An extra effort can help you outperform others. One extra bit is learning the Maths Concepts for NEET 2022 exam preparations. Although Maths is not a part of your NEET 2022 Syllabus, often you will require a basic knowledge of some Mathematical concepts in Physics and Chemistry, and students who haven’t studied Maths in classes XI and XII may face issues understanding them. It is time to get over your bewildered expression on seeing differentiation and integration in Physics derivations. Learning some basic concepts will help you easily traverse the Physics’ numerical value questions.
Is Maths Essential To Crack NEET 2022?
Although it appears to be weird to study Mathematics for an exam that does not include the subject in its syllabus, diving deeper into the issue, one would realise that the subject holds significant importance for NEET aspirants!
Reviewing the previous years’ score data of qualified NEET candidates, we see that the students scored least in Physics on average. The scores are an indication enough for any smart aspirant to gear up and focus on Physics preparation.
Going through the NEET Physics Syllabus and the NEET Chemistry Syllabus (Physical Chemistry), one can easily notice that a substantial portion of the two subjects is based on Maths ideas. So, aspirants cannot neglect the essentiality of mostly the basic concepts topped with a few advanced concepts.
What are the NCERT Maths Important Concepts for NEET 2022?
Students will require very few advanced Mathematical concepts in addition to the basic ones. These are essential for understanding and solving questions in Kinematics, Electrics, Mechanics, Gravitation, Magnetism and Nuclei chapters and Chemical Kinetics. NCERT books can help you get a clear idea of the crucial Maths concepts. A firm grasp of the following mathematical concepts can help students crack the Physics and Physical Chemistry portions of NEET 2022.
Basic Mathematical Principles
A student who has studied Mathematics up to class 10th can easily ace the following concepts:
- Square roots
- Surface area
Conversions of Units
- Linear equations in one variable
- Pair of linear equations in two variables
Some important concepts in Trigonometry are:
- Angle side relationships
- Trigonometric ratios for angles in a right-angled triangle
- Simple relations between ratios
- Trigonometric identities
NEET aspirants must know the following:
- Laws of logarithms
- logarithm of 1
- Change of base
- Using log table
- Using log for calculation
- Antilog of a negative number
Thorough knowledge of basic geometrical concepts is a must for all the students preparing for NEET 2022. Some NCERT Maths important concepts are as follows:
- Similarity of triangles
- Area of triangles
- Pythagoras theorem
- Lines and angles
- Scalar quantity
- Vector quantities
- Position vector
- Adding two vectors
- Subtracting two vectors
- Unit vector or vector of unit length
- The cartesian frame of reference
- Vectors in two dimensions
- Vectors in three dimensions
- Polar representation of vector
- Cosine rule
- Parabola and Hyperbola
- Distance formula
- Knowledge of coordinates a point
- Concept of collinearity
- Framing quadratic equation from a given problem
- The formula for solving quadratic equations
- Middle term split
Students need not delve into the details of this topic. They must have a basic idea of integration, including
- Application of integration for finding volume
- Application of integration in Physics
- Important integration formulas
This topic, again, does not require deep knowledge. Cover the following topics superficially:
- Linearity rules constant rate of change
- Rate of change that is not constant
- Derivatives of polynomials
- Maxima and Minima of function
- Distinguishing maximum points from minimum points
Students don’t have to memorise all the formulae of calculus while preparing for NEET Exam. A nodding acquaintance with these topics will be sufficient:
- Derivatives formulae
- Slope (via derivative method)
- Maxima and minima
- Integration formulae
- The area under the curve
NEET 2022 Preparation Tips for Physics and Chemistry Numericals Questions
The Physics and Chemistry sections require strategic preparation. The lack of a proper plan makes these sections seem challenging to medical aspirants. Students must learn to create a balance between all the subjects they are studying and the topics in every subject. There are two types of medical aspirants: those who spend too much time solving numerical questions in Physics and Chemistry and those who avoid them. Being in either will not help. Physics amounts to only 25 percent of the questions in NEET 2022, and the same goes for Chemistry. So, spending too much time on a particular topic can jeopardise the chances of doing well in the other sections of the NEET exam.
Often students get past theoretical questions but find themselves in a fix when dealing with numerical value questions.
Going through the NEET 2022 Exam Pattern, you will find that, on average, there are approximately 15-20 numerical/derivation based questions in the NEET Exam. Here is how to nail these questions with good preparation.
The following NEET 2022 preparation tips will help you bag high scores and emerge with an outshining NEET Result.
- Understand the concepts: Physics and Chemistry numerical questions are difficult for those who do not invest their time in understanding the concepts behind them. So, students must modify their approach. Often students try to understand the concepts by solving questions. However, it has to be the other way round. Understand the concepts and then try solving the questions while employing those concepts.
- Do not skip the derivations: Derivations are not directly a part of the NEET exam. So, students tend to neglect them. On the contrary, it is crucial to understand the derivation process as that would help you solve most of the questions in Physics and Chemistry.
- Create a booklet: Reading derivations or examples of numerical questions won’t help. You must note down the important formulae in a separate booklet. This booklet can serve as your reference material. Moreover, students who make it a habit to write down the important points find it much easier to revise the topics later.
- Choose the right books for reference: Choosing the right books will help you escape the stress created by advanced Physics and Chemistry books. Students must avoid books used by candidates preparing for the JEE examinations. Such books are for those with a stronghold of Mathematics; contrastingly, a NEET aspirant has knowledge of Mathematics upto Class 10. Check out some best books for NEET 2022 preparation.
- Prioritise: It is vital to go through the NEET 2022 Exam Pattern and keep the NEET Syllabus handy. Scan the syllabus and figure out your strengths and weaknesses. Also, pay special attention to NEET 2022 Important Chapters and the ones that carry maximum weightage.
- Skim through previous years’ papers: It is not that simple to gauge your weaknesses. Therefore, students can go through NEET Previous Year Question Paper and Solutions to understand which topics/ concepts they are familiar with and the ones they are not. Moreover, solving the Physics and Chemistry sections of these question papers will help you devise a pattern of repetition of questions/types of questions.
- Take a few mock tests: To analyse your preparation level, you must take a few NEET Mock Tests 2022. Mock tests boost your confidence and help fight exam pressure. Students can also enrol for NEET 2022 Crash Course to pace up their preparation.
Additional Tip for NEET Exam
Proper time management is imperative for a good NEET score. Students must practise time management while preparing for the NEET exam. On the day of the final exam, if you get stuck on a numerical question, do not waste your time trying to brainstorm the concepts. You must move ahead and skip that question. Once you complete answering all the questions you have left, go back to the questions you had left and try solving them.
Although Maths is not a part of your NEET 2022 Syllabus specifically, NTA question paper setters expect you to have a complete idea of the NCERT Maths topics covered up to Class 10 level. A basic idea of some NCERT class XI and class XII topics will be like a cherry on the cake. They will help you get through the challenging numerical value questions in Physics and Chemistry. Toppers don’t do extra things; they do them differently. So, it is not about studying different topics; rather, it is about understanding well all that is a part of your syllabus.
1. Do I need to opt for Maths in Class 11 to crack NEET?
Maths is not amongst the prerequisites for NEET. Every year, most students who appear for NEET and achieve success are the ones who opt for PCB(Physics, Chemistry, Biology) combination in classes 11 and 12. Medical applicants require a very superficial idea of the Maths topics covered in class 11 and 12 syllabi. So, opting for or dropping Maths in class 11 will not affect your NEET Result.
2. Are NCERT Maths concepts enough for NEET?
For those who wish to study Maths concepts to better understand Physics and Chemistry numerical based questions, NCERT is sufficient. Aspirants can refer to NCERT Maths books and check out NCERT Solutions for Class 11 and 12 to get a complete idea of the important Maths concepts.
3. Can an average student in Maths crack NEET?
Yes, in-depth knowledge of Maths or advanced Mathematical skills are not vital for NEET. An average student in Maths can easily crack NEET with high scores. However, students must study dedicatedly and adopt smart techniques to prepare for the exam. It is also crucial to stay consistent with the study pattern and the preparation strategy. Basic knowledge of Mathematical concepts will help students get past the NEET exam with good grades.
4. Is Calculus required for NEET?
Calculus is a vast topic. To crack NEET, you need not master calculus. Elementary knowledge of the topic is sufficient for those preparing for class 12th level Physics. Moreover, you do not require much Calculus for Chemistry except for a little bit in Chemical Kinetics. So, students need to have a basic idea of Calculus, including
1. Derivatives formulae
3. A basic idea of maxima and minima
4. Integration formulae
5. The area under the curve
Leave a Reply