JEE Main Session 2 exams are about to begin, so it’s time for students to start their revisions and reflect on all the preparations they were doing during the entire academic year. During this time, stress, fear, and anxiety are common in students, and it’s acceptable before the final exams, but it should not affect their performance in the JEE Main 2022 exam.
Sometimes, taking unnecessary stress can hamper students’ performance and may not always represent all of their hard work and hours spent studying. This article has compiled a list of 8 suggestions to help students improve their performance to their full potential and score the maximum marks they deserve in their final examinations!
|Did You Know?
In this study of over 1300 students, 96 percent reported they are nervous about examinations. This high rate is unsurprising, but it raises concerns about whether the educational system is extremely competing and burdensome.
How to Improve your Performance in JEE Main Session 2 Exams?
Exams are used to measure the overall understanding of the subject studied during the academic year. Marks measure the comprehension of students on those subjects. Thus, marks are a crucial factor in deciding the overall performance of the students.
Sometimes, despite studying all hours of the day and night, students cannot achieve their desired results. So, “How to improve your performance in exams?” Here are some tried-and-true tactics that students can use even before knowing their final examination status to improve their performance.
8 Ways to Improve Your Performance in Exams
Pay More Attention to What is Discussed in Class
The first step toward improving exam performance is to pay attention in class. Students should make an effort to squander their time in class and try not to skip important lectures.
At times, classes might be tedious. Here is what should students do to get the most out of class:
- Motivate themselves by rewarding themselves with food or other delights for attending to the lesson effectively.
- Create a positive attitude and try not to be distracted by the surroundings.
- Sit in the front rows of the class to be extra attentive.
- Attend in-class sessions.
- Avoid all forms of distraction during class, including social networking sites.
Prepare Notes in Class
All previous years JEE Main toppers have stressed the significance of preparing notes. They have also stressed the importance of this method.
Note-takers in class have always come out on top. As students shift from one subject to another, there are high chances that they will forget what they have heard in the lecture within the next few hours of the class. However, if they have prepared notes in written form, it becomes a reference for future revision.
So the question arises, how do you write notes that are helpful and will help students in performing better in their final examinations?
- Listen attentively in class, then begin writing notes.
- Before getting ready for the upcoming class, review the previous lecture notes.
- Make the notes easily understandable.
- Preparing notes in binders is a great option because students can add extra sheets in between as needed.
- Highlight all the important headings and subheadings with highlighters, pencils, or pens.
- Create a new page for each new lecture.
- Make room for additions or further notes.
- If necessary, seek clarification from teachers immediately.
- Discuss the notes with class friends for further clarifications.
Set Objectives and Work on Them
Students set both long-term and short-term objectives in their careers. A long-term objective would be to accomplish something in life. To attain these long-term goals, students have to create multiple short-term goals.
There is no bypass for improving the performance in exams. Therefore, students must have a goal-oriented plan in place. A study master plan can help students stay on track to meet their objectives. Also, time is a valuable element. Students must make sure they have a specific set of goals within a specific time frame, or else it is useless. Stick to the objectives, and make minor adjustments only if necessary.
Students can set a target for marks they want to achieve in their final exams. Always aim for higher grades; for instance, if one scored a B in the last term (however, it should be realistic), then try to aim for an A+ grade this time.
Setting higher goals will show what one is doing to improve their exam performance. It is proven that students who set their goals outperform their peer group. Students will not experience exam fever if they plan ahead of time since they will be prepared for it well in advance.
Organizing oneself is one of the most effective ways to improve students’ academic performance. Working hard is helpful, but working smart is more effective because smartness is found in managing oneself, particularly time and resources.
Study environment – Create a calm environment that is easy to learn and study. Students must choose a quiet location that is ideal for them. It should also be close to their study materials so that they don’t have to run back and forth to get them.
Create a study routine – Choose the best time for study. Some students like to sleep in the early hours. Some students are night owls. In both cases, the atmosphere is quiet and peaceful, and students can fully concentrate on their studies.
Plan the school life while also making time for social activities – Everything in excess can cause harm to others. If students ignore academics and are constantly engaged in social activities, such as social media, their studies will suffer. At the same time, students should not overburden themselves with their studies. It can result in stressful experiences. Therefore students must balance their life equally.
Watch our live webinar on: How to Improve Your Performance in JEE Main (Session-II) | Aakash BYJU’S
Time Management – A key towards success!
Students have approximately 16 waking hours in a day, which is sufficient to improve themselves. Now, the question arises, how to improve grades throughout these hours? The solution is time management.
Students must make sure that they study for at least two hours every day. Daily study is an important aspect of a student’s life, especially reviewing before an exam; otherwise, they won’t be able to perform well in final exams.
Students can expand their study time limit by managing their time correctly. For effective time management, students must employ different techniques for studying, such as the Pomodoro Technique.
Begin with a short time limit, such as 25 minutes. Concentrate on the studies effectively and don’t wander during that period. Allow a 5-minute rest before continuing to study for the next 25 minutes. As the study goes, students can increase the length of these time slots.
When students increase their time slots in the examination period, take at least 10 minutes to relax after every four time slots.
Evaluate Your Weak Areas
How can students improve their performance? The answer is by simply evaluating their weaknesses and strengths.
Students may excel in some academic subjects while falling short in other subjects. As a result, their grades may suffer from all these factors. It would be beneficial for students to pay closer attention to their shortcomings in this situation.
Students must Analyse their scores for the last few exams to determine why there is a drop. If students devote more focus and effort to these weak areas, their exam marks will inevitably improve.
Practice Previous Year’s Question Papers
How do you achieve flawless scores? Practicing previous year’s question papers is one of the most basic tactics. Examining past papers is similar to taking exams. Here students can Analyse the examination structure, the number of questions to attempt and the timeframe for answering them.
In addition, students will examine the format in the previous papers, which will assist them in identifying the exam paper they will be given.
|Did You Know?
The CBSE repeats many previous year’s important questions in Class 10 or 12 final board exams. Therefore students need to practice on the previous year’s question papers.
If needed, attend private tuitions
In some circumstances, attending private tuition can benefit students who can’t understand group studies. In private tuition, the ratio between teacher-student is usually 1:1 here; students get individualized attention. The second advantage is that private tuition may be scheduled at per student’s convenience, unlike school.
Students can take private classes in subjects where they find themself weak. One-on-one attention also allows teachers to assess the strengths and weaknesses and provide learning solutions for the areas where students fall short.
1. How to improve performance in exams by making learning a pleasurable experience?
10 methods to improve the performance in exams by making learning a pleasurable experience
1. It's sometimes a good idea to study when music is playing in the background.
2. While taking notes, draw diagrams, models, or sketches to increase the interest in returning to them for review.
3. One approach to having fun while studying literature is to engage in roleplaying.
4. Convert the subject content into games, quizzes, or questionnaires.
5. Study with friends to make it a pleasant learning experience.
6. Use eye-catching stationery to boost up the studies.
7. Set realistic goals for oneself.
8. In most situations, comics never backfire. Make a good tale or a comic out of a chapter.
9. If students feel tired of their study routine, change it for a few days.
10. Finally, try to balance out studies with other physical activities such as sports, socializing, following a hobby, or simply relaxing.
2. How to choose the most suitable learning style to improve your performance in exams?
Learning is a non-stop activity performed by students throughout their lives. Continue to add on new skills and information in their personalities and lives from infancy.
Different students learn with different techniques. Thus, students need to analyse which technique suits them most to improve their final exam performance.
1. Some students are visual learners, meaning they can quickly absorb things using visuals and images.
2. Some students are auditory learners with a better ear for listening than others.
3. Some students are verbal learners; they will read aloud to learn.
4. Some students are physical learners; they utilise their hands and fingers to recall what they've learned.
5. Logical learners memorise concepts by reasoning logically. They make flowcharts or analyse data and use it as a learning tool.
6. Some students can learn better alone or in a group setting.
Students can select the method that they believe will help them learn faster.
3. How can I improve my performance in the final exams?
Overcoming exam anxiety by remaining positive is the best solution to perform with full concentration in final exams. Positivity is a very nutritious emotion. It is a mindset that students must have to pass any examination.
Here are some pointers that students need to consider if they were underperforming in previous exams:
1. Accepting the truth and resisting it delays the passage of time.
2. Maintain an optimistic mindset today to keep on track.
3. Examine the areas which are falling short.
4. Examine weak points and devote extra time to them.
5. Speak with subject teachers and ask for study advice.
6. In class, pay close attention to what is going on.
7. Prepare easy and understandable notes, compare them with peers, and review them once the chapter is over.
4. How can I increase my study memory to improve my performance in final exams?
Students can try these memory tricks to enhance their concentration power effectively.
1. Memory palace connects the knowledge one wants to remember with something they previously knew.
2. Use abbreviations to improve memory. The most basic example is VIBGYOR (Violet, Indigo, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, and Red). It is used to remember the name of colours present in the rainbow.
3. Spaced Repeat- repetition aids in remembering the needed information.
4. Lifestyle changes include avoiding junk food, getting enough sleep, exercising, etc.
5. Read first, then write - this way, students will revise the concepts twice!
5. Suggest ten ways to improve the performance on the exam day.
Students are properly prepared for their final exams if they take notes, follow up with home study, revise their concepts, and practise the previous year's papers. However, students should do a few things on exam day to attain the highest potential exam scores.
1. Reach the examination centre on time.
2. Relax and take a deep breath.
3. Reread all of the instructions carefully in the exam.
4. Plan out which questions need to be attempted first.
5. Begin writing steadily and confidently.
6. Try to answer all the questions in the examinations.
7. While answering questions, manage the time wisely.
8. Use the last 10 minutes to go over the answer sheet again.
9. Review the paper carefully.
10.Finally, assess the performance.
It is not a billion-dollar question to figure out how to improve the performance in the final exams. Simple tactics, day-to-day revisions, regular study, positivism, note-taking, teacher and parent support, and paying appropriate attention are some of the most common exam-improvement strategies that students in their upcoming exams should utilize.
Students must try to use all or at least 3 of these strategies to improve their grades in final examinations. Use them right away and witness how much better you have performed in your exams!