It’s the time when every student of Class 10 and 12 is accelerating their exam preparation and revisions, whether for the board exams or competitive exams. Some students work diligently throughout the night, while others forget to eat on time. There is a common thing among them, and it is stress. It is obvious for every student to feel so.
Exams bring a lot of pressure, tension, stress, and headaches. Some students can cope with these, but some started to feel panic and overwhelmed with each passing day. The pressure to secure a good result from teachers, parents, relatives and even tutors pushes them towards anxiety and depression.
If you suffer the same pressure and stress, this article is exclusively for you.
Everyone knows that the finger of the same hand can never be the same in size. Similarly, the capacity for learning and performing in exams for two children can never be the same. Some students can positively take the exam pressure, while some cannot handle it.
Some Activities To Reduce Stress In Exam Time
It is also necessary to get through this stress to maintain good health. Here are some tips and activities to help you relieve your board exam stress.
- Do Some Yoga & Meditation
Today everyone is aware of the benefits of yoga and meditation. 30-minutes of regular yoga during the examination time helps you focus more on your studies and increase your attention span. In addition to this, yoga is extremely helpful in reducing stress, anxiety, and restlessness.
Meditation helps you avoid the distractions of life and lets you focus on your studies for long hours. Whenever you feel that tension or worries are encircling you, turn to meditate.
- Small Breaks In Between Revisions
You have a vast syllabus to revise for board exams within a little time. But pushing you beyond exhaustion does not let you gain the desired result. Take small breaks in between your studies. Leave your study room and let your mind relax. It will help you to overcome the uneasiness you were feeling during revision. You can take a small walk, sing a song, go for sunlight, or listen to music. All these exercises help you relieve your stress.
- Have A Balanced Diet
Skipping a meal may give you extra time in a day, but the harm it will give you can’t be avoided. It will break your concentration level and result in building up stress levels. Make sure to eat your breakfast, lunch, and dinner regularly.
You need to understand that preparing for exams is a demanding exercise. A lot of nutrients are required to complete the loss during this exercise. And to overcome this loss, you need to take a properly balanced diet.
- Do Some Before Hand Work
Revise the subject before the examination day. You will not be able to revise the whole syllabus in one or two days. And there will be very little time for you to practice topics. In the end, it all leads you toward tension and anxiety.
To avoid such a situation, you need to plan out the revision schedule before time. You can take the help of mock papers for this planning. You can also make a timetable for the revision in advance. But remember to follow the timetable strictly.
- Listening Music
It is scientifically proven that listening to music has a relaxing effect on the body and mind. It helps in decreasing the stress-controlling hormones. Music is an effective tool for controlling stress. It helps calm your nerves and stimulate your brain, which lets you memorise topics with ease.
Listening to music helps focus on a task by motivating the students. It helps you with memorising the topics, which indirectly boosts memory functions.
- Tell Yourself Some Positive Affirmations
‘I can do this.’ ‘I’ll work hard.’ ‘I’m becoming more focused.’ ‘I’m becoming good at taking exams.’ ‘I’m going to perform well in this exam.’
Tell yourself these points daily. These are positive affirmation sentences.
Positive affirmations have the power to make the mind calm and boost positivity. Repeating this activity helps you soothe the butterflies in your stomach because of the exam. Research shows that telling yourself positive affirmations helps you reduce your stress level.
- Practice Visualization
Creating a mental picture is also a relaxing activity. You can imagine your favourite place or situation when you feel stressed, which will help you relax your brain. Visualization has the power to help you calm down, detach from your worries, and not let your body respond to anxiety.
5-10 minutes of this activity helps relieve your brain from any stress during exam time and calm down after a long preparation period.
- Organize The Things
Living in a mess up space increases stress levels and decreases productivity levels. Many students live in a messy place, which negatively affects their grades. Organizing your study table or study room helps you get free from distractions and litter.
This activity helps you reduce your anxiety and create a positive study environment. Finally, it results in giving you encouragement for exam preparations.
- Get A Proper Sleep
Sleep is as important as eating food. Do not compromise your sleep because of exams. Even experts advise that students take 6-8 hours of sleep during the examination journey.
Do you believe stress and sleep are related to each other? The less you sleep, the more you feel stressed. So, it is not useful to drown yourself in books without sleeping at night. Sleep helps relax your mind, which helps you feel refreshed and energetic.
- Plan Your Time Effectively
Time management is an important aspect of exam preparations. But do you believe it is also an effective activity to relieve stress? Planning a realistic schedule and applying it in daily life lets you complete the whole syllabus in a short period with ease. It will increase your confidence and, on the contrary, reduce your stress level.
With effective time management skills, you will be able to complete your revision in a limited time and utilise your spare time for other activities. It will lower your exam-level tensions.
To become nervous or panic during exam time is normal. Every student faces this issue whether they are toppers or average in studies. You also need to know the symptoms of getting stressed to recover from them. Feeling confused, overwhelmed, moody and low, lack of motivation, trouble making decisions, and many more are the signs that show you are encircled with stress.
You suffer from stress, tension, or panic attacks when you are not confident about your preparations. You feel like competing with others, worrying about failing exams, thinking that you don’t have much time to prepare, etc.
There are many more activities that can help you relieve stress, other than the ones mentioned in this article, during exams. We hope you will be able to select any activity from all of these and do well in your exams.
1. How can solving mock papers help me get affected by stress during exam time?
Solving mock papers ic counts as a test-taking strategy. It is the art of solving question papers. Every student has a unique way of solving exam papers. When you solve a paper in the given duration and analyse it later, you will feel more confident and positive about exam preparations. The more you solve questions, the more you become self-assured. It will also help you know your weak points and strengths and give you enough chances to improve them.
2. What tricks and tips should I use to get rid of stress in board exams while studying?
It is necessary to get rid of stress and tension, especially during exam times. And, the name ‘board exams’ is the biggest source of stress for most students. Here are some tips and tricks that will help you free from any anxiety:
1. Follow the timetable you have prepared for exam preparations. But make sure to make your eating and sleeping each day simultaneously.
2. Take a sound sleep regularly. It helps you stimulate your brain energy, let you remember what you have learned, and aid you in refreshes.
3. Set your daily goals. When you achieve them, reward yourself for boosting your confidence. You can select to watch any TV show, a short movie, or a cartoon, whatever you like. You may also go for a run as a reward.
4. Try to avoid junk food items during this period. Junk foods provide you with a sudden burst of energy, and when this energy is utilized, you will feel completely worn out.
5. Take a balanced diet regularly. Include fruits, green vegetables, pulses, cereals, proteins, carbohydrates, and good fats in your diet. These are good for your brain and increase the energy level in your body.
3. What are the activities that should be avoided during the board exams?
Many activities can lead you to negative results in exam time. It would be best if you had to avoid them. Here are some of these activities:
1. Parrot-fashioned memorizing thing: Do not use the mindlessly memorizing method to learn topics. In this method, if you forget any single word from the topic, it will mess up the whole solution.
2. Missing out on sleep: Do not compromise your sleep. A night of sound sleep is necessary for students during exam times. It will help them relax their brain nerves and memorize topics at a faster rate.
3. Last-minute nervous breakdowns: Do not let last-minute nervous breakdowns attack you. To avoid such situations, you need to practice actively from mock papers.
4. Compete and compare with others: Everyone has different capabilities. So do not compete and compare with other students. It will demote your confidence level.
Leave a Reply