World Gratitude Day is observed on 21 September every year. This day gives all individuals, societies, organizations, and countries a chance to celebrate the occasion of gratitude and thank each other for all that they have done.
What Do We Mean by Gratitude?
Gratitude is the expression of the blessings that one has in the form of qualities, lessons, people, achievements, possessions, support, privileges, and experiences.
World Gratitude Day: History
The idea to celebrate World Gratitude Day first came into the picture in 1965 during a thanksgiving dinner in the meditation room of the United Nations building. World gratitude day was celebrated by Sri Chinmoy, an Indian spiritual leader, and meditation teacher. With that, each member present decided to hold a gratitude gathering each year in their country on September 21. Then, in 1977 a group that ran the meditation room requested a resolution that would give recognition for World Gratitude Day. This happened at the New York Headquarters during a special ceremony that honored Sri Chinmoy for his work. Ever since then, World Gratitude Day has been recognized annually.
World Gratitude Day: Significance
The aim of observing World Gratitude Day is quite simple. It recognizes the transformative power gratitude has to heal, energize and drive cultural change in the workplace.
Health Benefits of Gratitude
Some of the Positive Health benefits of Gratitude are:
- Feel more positive emotions
- Build healthier relationships
- Feel happier
- Increase in self-esteem
- Increase optimism
- Reduces materialism
- Reduces depressive symptoms
- Improves sleep
- Helps in substance abuse recovery
Ideas to Celebrate World Gratitude Day
Here are some interesting ideas to help you celebrate World Gratitude Day:
- Start a gratitude journal
- Do a gratitude challenge
- Write gratitude letters
- Take my gratitude course
- Listen to gratitude affirmations
- Join a Gratitude Group
World Gratitude Day: Motivational Quotes
- Be mindful. Be grateful. Be positive. Be true. Be kind. – Roy T Bennett
- Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom – Marcel Proust
- The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude – Friedrich Nietzsche