World AIDS Day is dedicated to raising awareness of the AIDS pandemic caused by the HIV virus infection. Founded by James W. Bunn and Thomas Netter, World AIDS Day has been marked on 1 December every year since 1988.
AIDS acronym refers to the illness caused by the HIV virus and its full form is Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome. The illness occurs when the virus severely compromises the body’s immune system. However, everyone infected with HIV may not develop AIDS.
World AIDS Day 2022- Theme and Significance
The theme for World AIDS Day 2022 will be”Equalize” which will be observed by WHO and other health organisations. The theme signifies that it is imperative to provide everyone with access to HIV treatment, testing facilities, and prevention services by making the services easily available along with maintaining quality and applicability.
We, as a part of society, must take adequate measures to raise awareness on the importance of treating all AIDS patients with due respect and equality in society, and that is the true essence of the theme for the year. Any individual living with HIV or AIDS must not be made to feel vulnerable and marginalized. There should be no discrimination or isolation.
World AIDS Day- Activities that can be Planned at School Level
While HIV still continues to be a serious public health concern due to a lack of resources and proper medication or cure, it is important to raise awareness to not let the AIDS fighters feel out of place. AIDS cognizance must be initiated at all levels and for people of all age groups.
Schools these days play a major role in health awareness campaigns as they craft the young minds who are the upcoming torch-bearers of our society. Instilling AIDS awareness at a young age can be a huge step in making our society welcoming and equal for our AIDS fighters.
Shared below are a few activities that be planned in schools to raise AIDS awareness on World AIDS Day 2022 that can have an impact on millions of people globally:
- Schools can organise panel discussions and invite experts who can address the HIV situation more impactfully. People suffering from HIV can also be invited to share their personal experiences.
- Schools can observe putting red ribbons on a mural to remember the people who died from AIDS.
- It is extremely important for students to have access to proper sex education at the required stage as the correct knowledge of a healthy sexual life can help prevent many such problems at later stages of their life.
- Schools can organise poster-making competitions based on the theme of World AIDS Day 2022 and also display them.
- Essay writing competitions can also be planned at the school level. This will let the students blurt out their thoughts on the serious health concern and can also help the school or the experts to plan their health education in a much better way.
World AIDS Day 2022- Essay Writing Ideas for Students
Students willing or planning to write essays on World AIDS Day can keep the following points in mind:
- To start with, be rightly informed about AIDS, its causes, and the mediums that allow its spread.
- Target the subject and how it affects society or the sufferers.
- Be empathetic throughout the essay, and do not hesitate to pen down your personal thoughts.
- Also, talk about the symptoms and how this health hazard can be prevented.
- You can sum up your essay by pointing out some measures that must be taken at all levels to stop the spread of this deadly illness.
World AIDS Day- FAQs
1. Can one die from HIV Infection?
The HIV infection results in many symptoms that make the body weak day by day. The best way is to take proper medications that are prescribed to reduce the symptoms and live a healthy longer. The best way is to keep healthy and lead an active lifestyle.
2. Who is the founder of World AIDS Day?
World AIDS Day was first conceived in August 1987 by James W. Bunn and Thomas Netter, two public information officers for the Global Programme on AIDS at the World Health Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.
3. What is the purpose of World AIDS Day?
Every year, on 1 December, the world commemorates World AIDS Day. People around the world unite to show support for people living with and affected by HIV and to remember those who lost their lives to AIDS.
4. What color do you wear for World AIDS Day?
Wearing a red color ribbon is a great way to raise awareness on and during the run-up to World AIDS Day.
5. What activities can be done on World AIDS Day?
Here are some of the interesting activities that can be conducted on World AIDS Day:
3. Honor to those who have died from AIDS
4. Group discussions to raise awareness about AIDS
5. Debate competition