JEE Main is one of India’s most competitive exams. Since engineering is considered a well-reputed profession in our nation, it is not a surprise that many students appear for the JEE examinations. If the students want to pursue their engineering dream, joining a country-wide recognised educational institution is a must.
To obtain seats in India’s Ivy League institutions, such as IITs and NITs, the students must secure high marks in their JEE Main and JEE Advanced exams. To do so, a preparation strategy with a top-notch evaluation technique is a must.
The aspirants should give equal importance to all the subjects. Chemistry is one of the subjects included in JEE Main 2022. So, to obtain maximum marks, they need to follow appropriate tactics. Let us discuss the things a student can follow to be successful in the Chemistry section of his JEE 2022 examination in this article.
|Table of contents|
|Weightage of marks|
|JEE Main Chemistry 2022 Preparation tips
|Section-wise prep tips
|Progress evaluation techniques|
JEE Main Chemistry Weightage
There are three sections in JEE Chemistry. They are Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Inorganic Chemistry. Each of these sections contains an equal number of questions asked in the JEE Main exam. The following tabulation will provide in-depth details about unit-wise weightage for all the subsections in Chemistry:
|Sub-section||Overall Weightage (%)||Important Topics||Topic Weightage (%)|
|Physical Chemistry||35.6||Basic Concepts||7.4|
|States of Matter and Solutions||23.2|
|Redox and Electrochemistry||8.4|
|Organic Chemistry||34.7%||Basic Principles||6.33|
|Hydrocarbons and its Substituents||6.33|
|O containing Compounds||8.33|
|N containing Compounds||3.00|
|Biomolecules & Polymers||5.67|
|Environmental & Everyday-life Chemistry||1.67|
|Inorganic Chemistry||29.7%||Coordination Compounds||14.9|
|Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure||21.8|
|Classification of Elements and Periodicity||8.9|
|d & f Block Elements||24.7|
|Hydrogen and s-block Elements||12.9|
As per the new exam pattern, in the Chemistry section of the JEE Main exam, 25 compulsory questions are asked, and each will contain 5 marks.
Also See: JEE Main Chemistry Syllabus
JEE Main Chemistry 2022 Preparation tips
Before starting your preparation for the JEE examination, it is essential to know some tips and tricks. It will save a lot of time and effort.
Begin with the basics
The JEE Chemistry aspirants should start with the basics. They can go for NCERT Class 11 and 12 textbooks. For starters, these textbooks are more than enough to obtain the basic knowledge of the subject. After they are familiar with the concepts, they can opt for advanced materials and books to enhance their knowledge.
How Should You Prepare Chemistry for JEE Main?
JEE Main 2022 Chemistry Revision: Important Notes For Students
Avoid using too many sources
Many students do the big mistake of studying from whatever sources they come across on the internet. It should be avoided. It is recommended to use only a limited amount of sources (at a maximum of 2 to 3) so that they will not get confused. It is also very overwhelming. Moreover, there are higher chances that they will miss out on any important topic.
In addition, the candidates should make their own notes on the concepts they study. It will help them remember the topics better. They can also highlight the keywords and important points for future references and revisions.
Practice JEE Main mock tests
It is very important for the students to practice what they study. So, solving mock tests and practice tests will help them obtain good scores in JEE 2022. Furthermore, they can gather previous years’ question papers and start solving them.
Doing as many practice tests as possible will help the aspirants acquire time management and critical writing skills. The students should also consider taking these tests oftentimes in a week. It will help them to get used to the JEE main exam pattern.
Analyse and revise frequently
Taking tests alone without countermeasures will not be effective. So, after completing each test, the students need to analyse themselves and understand where they went wrong. They should correct their mistakes and ensure they will not repeat them.
After figuring out the errors and mistakes, now it is time to revise the concepts. They can set a separate timetable for revision. For example, the candidates can pick multiple times in a week just to revise what they have already studied. Revision helps the students remember the concepts and topics better, and they will not easily forget them.
Visual Story on JEE Main Exam Preparation: Important Chemistry Chapters you should not Skip
JEE Main Exam Prep: Important Chemistry Chapters you Should not Skip
Concentrate more on high weightage topics
After the students have covered the whole syllabus, the next step is to be thorough with the important topics. Important topics fetch them more marks. It is advisable to have their major focus on the high weightage topics and practice them with utmost dedication and concentration. It does not mean omitting the other topics. They have to focus more on crucial parts to obtain their dream scores in the JEE Main examination.
Section-wise prep tips
The students should make a preparation strategy for each section of Chemistry. Let us see them below:
- To prepare specifically for the physical chemistry section, the students must solve as many practice problems as possible because this section is mostly filled with numerical problems.
- Furthermore, it is an added advantage to have knowledge of important formulas and equations. It will help them solve questions in the examination.
- Some of the crucial topics in this section are Mole Concepts and their equivalences, Redox Reaction, Solid States, Thermodynamics, Thermochemistry and Gas Theory.
- Organic Chemistry is mostly concept-based.
- If the students could focus more on the carbonyl group reactions and their mechanism, it would be highly helpful in fetching them the maximum marks.
- Some of the most frequently asked questions under this section are: polarisation of carbonyl compounds, physical properties of organic groups, carbon group and hydrogen group.
- Easy-scoring topics in inorganic chemistry are periodic table and chemical bonding.
- In addition, a maximum number of questions are asked in the context of bond breaking, bond formation, periodicity, s-block, p-block, d, and f-block elements.
Also see: Some Basic Concepts of Chemistry Topics
There are numerous reference books available for studying JEE Chemistry. However, the aspirants should not study from all of them. It is necessary to focus only on 2 or 3 so that they will not get confused and overwhelmed. Given below are some of the top ones:
|Name of Book||Author/Publisher|
|Concise Inorganic Chemistry for JEE||J D Lee|
|Textbook of Organic Chemistry||Arihant Publications|
|Organic Chemistry||P Tandon|
|Inorganic Chemistry||O P Tandon|
|Physical Chemistry (new pattern textbook for physical chemistry)||O P Tandon|
|Modern Approach to Chemical Calculations||R C Mukherjee|
|University Chemistry||Bruce M Mahan and Rollie J Meyers|
Progress evaluation techniques
- While preparing for the JEE Main 2022, the students should make a preparation chart where they have to mention what they will be covering for each day. They should also specify a time limit for each topic. Having a limit will encourage the students to study fast and efficiently.
- Moreover, they can sort the topics or concepts based on the difficulty level, importance level, or how relative they are to the other concepts.
- After they have started their preparation journey, they must ensure that they are on track with their chart.
- If the students think that they are going too fast, they can take breaks so that they will not be too tired.
- If the aspirants feel like they need more time to complete a certain topic, they can make modifications according to their wishes.
- In case the students think that they are going slower than expected, they should not worry about it, as every student has their own learning pace. However, they may make some changes in their schedule accordingly or use a different method to acquire the concepts.
- They can seek advice from elders (mainly their tutors or professors) and have a clear idea of what to do or how to study.
- They should make necessary changes to their learning methods in case their actual method does not work well. It is not advisable to follow inefficient methods. So the aspirants are given a choice to make changes in their techniques anytime they wish.
- If the students cannot comprehend the concepts thoroughly, they should get help from their teachers.
- In addition, if they cannot gain more knowledge from any textbook they are using, they can shift to a different book where they feel more comfortable learning.
These are some things one should keep in mind while preparing for the JEE 2022 Chemistry exam. It will help them improve efficiency and productivity in their learning phase.
In conclusion, the JEE aspirants should follow whatever methods or tactics work for them. Securing high marks in the Chemistry section of the JEE Main examination might not be a piece of cake. Still, if you work enough for it, spending a good amount of time preparing and revising, you could easily score maximum marks. It will have a huge boost on your overall JEE Main score.
Therefore, the aspirants can take this blog as a guide and follow the tips mentioned above to secure their dream scores.
Watch our video on Master Tips and Tricks for cracking JEE with Aakash Experts | JEEnius Series
FAQs on JEE Main Chemistry
1. Is the Chemistry section in JEE Main easy?
Compared to the other sections in JEE, Chemistry is considered the easiest one if you prepare appropriately. For many aspirants, Chemistry is the key scoring area where they obtain maximum marks.
You can utilise the NCERT textbooks and other advanced level reference books to obtain the concepts of the topics and prepare for the exam accordingly.
2. Which part of Chemistry is hard for JEE 2022?
One of the hardest parts of Chemistry is Qualitative analysis which is contained in the Inorganic Chemistry section. In this part, memorising the colours of the compounds is a very difficult task. However, you can write the colour names with the same coloured sketch to make it easier. It will make your memorisation process faster and easier.
3. How tough is Physical Chemistry?
Many aspirants say that this part is one of the toughest parts. The reason is that physical chemistry is a combination of Physics and Chemistry. It also includes Maths concepts. This section is mainly filled with numerical problems. So the students are advised to solve as many practice problems as possible in order for them to be thorough with the topics. Constant practice and training will help the aspirants shine in the physical chemistry part of JEE.
4. What are the five types of Chemistry?
The following are the five different Chemistry types:
- Organic Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
5. How does Chemistry affect our daily life?
Due to the industrial applications of chemistry, we will be affected terribly without it. There are numerous places where chemistry is being used. If we remove it, it will impact our daily life activities such as food, clothing, electricity, medicines, transport, gadgets, technologies, etc. The importance of chemistry is inevitable.
6. Why is chemistry called the science of life?
There are a lot of reasons why we call Chemistry the Science of Life. Starting from domestic applications to industrial applications, the usage of chemistry is humungous. We use it literally everywhere. For instance, even our bodies are made up of chemicals and exhibit chemical reactions in our everyday life.
Leave a Reply