The central board of secondary education has made changes in the exam pattern of the academic year 2021-22. Due to COVID-19, board exams have to be cancelled the previous year. CBSE decided to implement a new exam pattern to tackle such situations in the future.
The board exams for classes 10 and 12 will be conducted in two terms. The first term exams was held in November-December of 2021. The exam duration was 90 minutes and consisted of MCQ questions and covered 50 percent of the syllabus.
Are you looking for the simplest way to understand the latest format released by CBSE? Then continue reading further to learn more!
The second term examination will take place in April-May of the year 2022. The exam duration will be 2 hours. External supervisors and observers appointed by CBSE will monitor both term one and term two exams. The question paper will consist of both objective and subjective questions. The term two exams will cover the rest of 50 per cent of the syllabus. There has also been a special focus on internal assessment and project work.
Students of CBSE class 10 will have three periodic tests along with practicals. For class 12 students, there will be unit tests after every chapter. Additionally, there will be practicals and project work to access the students. Schools are required to maintain students’ data for all their internal assessments, practical, and project work.
Based on students’ performance in all the internal assessments, projects, practicals, and theory marks of both terms, the final overall score will be calculated.
Benefits of the new CBSE format
Some of the benefits of the new exam pattern are listed below:
- Before the start of the exam, students are given an additional five minutes to read the question paper. This will help students to settle down and understand the question paper properly.
- As the exams are divided into two terms with half the syllabus covered in each term, it becomes easier for students to learn the concepts better. Students will feel less pressure with less syllabus to cover in each term.
- There is also a change in the timings of the exam. All exams are scheduled to start at 11:30 am. This is a great step that will benefit all the students. There will be ample time for students to reach the centre. Students will also get precious time to discuss important topics before the exam. The new timings will also allow students to get proper sleep as they don’t have to wake up early and rush to the exam centres.
Have queries amidst understanding the pattern? Don’t forget to check the FAQs provided at the end where we have answered all your queries!
- Many students feel they will get more time to study for entrance exams like engineering and medical. Earlier, students have to prepare for the whole syllabus. However, with the new exam pattern, the students can easily prepare their entire syllabus as it is divided into two terms.
- There was a trend among students to study at the last minute when boards happened only once every year. Students were in the habit of selective study as limited questions were asked in exams. However, the new CBSE exam pattern has introduced new types of questions like MCQ and short answer questions where students need to understand the concepts.
- There are many incidents of suicide as students face a lot of stress and anxiety during exams time. The new pattern is designed to be student-friendly.
- As more focus is given to internal assessments and projects, it will help develop students’ personalities. Students will become more engaged in their studies through different innovative methods adopted by schools. This will lead to the overall growth of students.
Understanding the new pattern
With the implementation of a new pattern, students are advised to understand the exam pattern. This will help them to score well in the exam. Students must visit CBSE websites to find relevant study material as per the new pattern. As there are different questions types students should understand each question type clearly.
As you must have read in every topper’s interview, NCERT solution is also an essential component of your preparation. These are needed for conceptual clarity.
Impact of CBSE new pattern on International students
There are thousands of students who wish to study abroad. Applications to various foreign universities are made every year. The new change in the CBSE exam pattern will affect students who want to study abroad.
The applications to US universities are made from November, and their deadline is in January. The last date for the UK and Canada applications is also mid-January. Students now have to deal with board exams and their application process to foreign universities at the same time.
The application process takes time to write essays and fulfil other criteria. Students willing to study abroad need to be more careful and manage their time effectively, as it will be challenging this time.
The new pattern introduced by CBSE is beneficial for students, teachers, and everyone related to the education sector. The new exam pattern will help students to become technology-friendly and help them prepare for future exams. Students and teachers should make efforts to come forward and make this new initiative work smoothly. Proper implementation of this new pattern will help students grow mentally and physically.