National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) is a national-level competitive examination that grants thousands of students admission to different government and private medical colleges in the country. There is no set limit to the number of attempts one can give the exam. Few students do not work hard for the exam in the hope of attempting it again the next time. Time is precious, so you should use it productively. If you develop the right strategies, you can crack the exam in a single attempt and save a year of your career.
Rules to Crack the NEET Exam
Following are ten rules you should follow if you want to crack the NEET exam on the first attempt.
- Set the goal of cracking the NEET 2022 exam in the first attempt: Do you want to clear NEET in the first attempt? Think of it as a do-or-die situation. Do not think of the option of giving the next attempt at the exam if you fail this time. Once you set a goal and know the NEET 2022 Syllabus, you will devise strategies to achieve that goal and finish that syllabus in time. Some students pass the exam on the first attempt, but how can you work towards it if you don’t have a goal?
- There are 3C’s that lead to success— commitment, concentration, and consistency: These three factors are very important to clear the NEET exam on the first attempt. If you are committed to a task, you put your heart and soul into accomplishing it. Your dream of wearing that white coat and having a successful career should be the priority on your mind during the whole journey of preparation. You should stay concentrated at every stage of your preparation. Maintain concentration when you are attending your lectures, when you are self-studying when you are attending the mock tests, and finally, when you are sitting on the main exam. Concentration and focus are the key characteristics of a successful student. Consistency means that the passion you are starting your NEET 2022 preparation
- ration journey should be constant until the end of your journey. The rule is to study every day with the same passion as you did on the first day of your preparation.
- You need to stay motivated: Self-motivation is as important as working hard during any competitive exam preparation. If you stay motivated, then only you will accomplish the syllabus in time. If you fall, pull yourself up. During the entire journey of your NEET preparation, you will face many ups and downs. You might fall ill, have personal issues, or not do well in mock tests, and the best you can do is pull yourself together and move on with renewed strength. If you carefully analyse the journey of any successful person, you will find that it will be full of ups and downs. Toppers possess the skill of learning from their mistakes and moving on from them. You can’t afford to lose your confidence until you make it on the exam.
- Practice three-step learning: The first step is to listen to the lectures of your teachers with full concentration and pay attention to every detail. If you have doubts, interact with your teachers and let them help you. The next step is to self-study the topic that you have just learned in the class. Consult the standard textbooks to have a thorough understanding of the concepts. The third step is to recall everything you have learned before going to bed. If you have friends preparing for the same exam, you can discuss the topic with them and brainstorm it for an in-depth understanding.
- Have the right set of notes: Your notes should be conceptually right and appropriate instead of bulky. There are a lot of resources you can follow and a lot of reference books for you to buy in the market. Should you buy them all? No! Pick up one book (apart from the NCERT textbooks) which you think has the most appropriate and balanced study material. Highlight it well while studying, paste short notes on it wherever necessary, and highlight the important points. Do whatever it takes so that you have the right reference material. You should not refer to different resources at different times before the examination. Have it all in one place
- Follow the NCERT textbooks: Most of the questions in the NEET exam come directly from the NCERT textbooks or are based on the concepts therein. No other reference or supplementary book can beat their importance. If you want to succeed in the NEET UG 2022 exam, you need to learn the NCERT textbook data line by line. You must learn every line and then memorise it. If you don’t understand a topic from the NCERT textbook, you can read it from the reference book for better understanding but skipping the topic from the NCERT textbook altogether is not advisable. 90-95% of questions in the NEET paper in the previous years have come from the NCERT data. Studying the NCERT Class 11 and NCERT Class 12 textbooks thoroughly will help you score more than 340 in Biology.
- Know your strengths and weaknesses: No matter which exam you are preparing for, you will always find some topics easier than the others. When preparing for the NEET exam, you should know which topics are easy for you and which are not. Make a list of all these topics under two different columns. It is tempting to keep solving questions from the topics that you find easier, but you should not waste your time unnecessarily. The chapters which you find difficult are where you should invest more time. Solve more questions related to those.
If you don’t understand one study resource, take help from another. Stop only when you are confident enough that you can solve most of the questions related to the topic independently. Also, use the knowledge of knowing your strengths and weaknesses constructively. Don’t feel overconfident by your strengths, and don’t let your weaknesses get the better of you.
- Make Biology your strength: Biology is a subject that has maximum weightage in NEET UG 2022 exam. It carries 360 marks in the exam, while the other two subjects carry 180 marks each. If your Biology is strong, it will play a major role in increasing your overall score. That does not mean you should ignore the NEET Chemistry Syllabus and NEET Physics Syllabus. Your Biology marks will decide your selection, and your Physics and Chemistry marks will decide your rank. You need to get above 320 marks in Biology if you want to succeed. It would help if you understand the importance of each subject and pay them the attention they deserve.
- Make a list of the formulas and other fact-based information because, in the exam, you have only 45 minutes to solve a single multiple-choice question. You might have derived the formula very well during your preparation, but if you cannot remember and apply it at the time of the exam, you will lose time in deriving the formula. So, the formulas and other such information should be memorised in your mind to use it directly in the exam and get the answer in minimum time.
- Practice as many multiple choice questions as possible and attend mock tests: The NEET question paper has multiple-choice questions. No matter how well you study the theory part, if you do not know how to apply those concepts while solving multiple-choice questions, all your hard work will be wasted. You should solve at least 50-60 Physics multiple-choice questions, 40 multiple-choice questions from Chemistry, and about 30 multiple-choice questions from Biology every day. Solving multiple-choice questions for Physics and Chemistry is more important because they involve more conceptual and numerical-based data. Biology is more fact-based. There is more to memorise than there is to understand.
If you don’t have experience solving multiple-choice questions, you will be clueless in the exam. Solve at least the previous ten years’ question papers. All your teachers, seniors, and toppers emphasise on solving NEET Previous Year Question Papers. There must be a reason for it. The last few months before your exam should be set aside for attending mock tests. If you do not know what mock tests are, those are the tests that simulate the NEET 2022 Exam Pattern and the time duration of the real exam. Most of the questions in the NEET Mock Tests 2022 are from previous years’ question papers. Giving mock tests teaches you time management and helps you devise strategies to tackle the main paper. If you want to attend mock tests online, those have been provided here NEET Mock Tests for your convenience.
If you follow all these rules, no one can stop you from cracking the NEET exam on the first attempt. Keep working hard!