Chemistry has proven to be a lifesaver for students taking the JEE exam. The chemistry component of the JEE exam is the most straightforward of the three. Students who study the vital topics for JEE 2022 chemistry can easily score well in this section. They can also determine which topic to focus on by understanding the chemistry chapter weightage for JEE. In this article, we shall figure out which is the most scoring topic of Chemistry and why your primary goal should be that section.
Highest Weightage Topic of Chemistry
There are theoretical and numerical questions in the Chemistry subject. However, numerical questions’ number and complexity level are modest, and they can be easily solved using formulae alone. Even numerical problems are often taken straight from the NCERT book. Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Inorganic Chemistry are the three branches of Chemistry. Our researchers dug deep into the NEET chemistry section’s previous ten-year papers to bring you a detailed table for the weightage of each section. Take a look at the table below to see how much each section of chemistry is worth:
|Section||Weightage in NEET|
|Inorganic Chemistry||34 %|
|Organic Chemistry||35.6 %|
|Physical Chemistry||30.4 %|
All of these topics are significant, but organic chemistry is the most important of them all. Organic chemistry is the most weighted of the three areas, with a consistent weighting practically every year. Important topics for JEE Chemistry have been grouped across three sections: organic, inorganic, and physical chemistry. We’ve given chapter-by-chapter weightage statistics for the JEE chemistry exam to make the preparation process easier.
Note: Organic Chemistry has the overall highest weightage, not chapter-wise. Not all the chapters from organic chemistry have the highest weightage in JEE. Many chapters from Physical and Inorganic Chemistry have more weightage than organic chemistry.
Chemistry Chapter Wise Weightage for JEE
In the above heading, we observed the distribution of weightage per chemistry section. In this section of the article, we shall see how all the chapters of Chemistry make up the entire Chemistry part of JEE. We’ve compiled a list of JEE Chemistry chapter weightage based on previous year’s examinations. This is also predicted to be the case in future articles. The student can shape his preparation with the help of the weightage of chemistry chapters in JEE. It’s also a good idea to pay extra attention to areas that carry a lot of weight in JEE.
|Section||Weightage per Chapter||Estimated Weightage|
|Some basic Principles of Organic Chemistry||0-2||0-8%|
|Alkyl Halide, Alcohol & Ether (Reaction Mechanism)||1-3||4-12%|
|Chemistry in everyday life||0-1||0-4%|
|Grignard Reagent, Reduction, Oxidation & Hydrolysis||0-1||0-4%|
|Carboxylic Acid and its Derivatives||0-1||0-4%|
|Principles related to Practical Chemistry||0-1||0-4%|
|Some Basic Concepts in Chemistry||1-2||4-8%|
|States of Matter||1||4%|
|Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure||1-3||4-12%|
|Atomic Structure & Nuclear Chemistry||0-2||0-8%|
|Solutions & Colligative Properties||0-1||0-4%|
|Redox Reactions and Electrochemistry||0-1||0-4%|
|Classification of Elements||1-2||4-8%|
|D-Block & F-Block elements||0-1||0-4%|
Now you must be clear about what you have to study and where you have to focus more during your preparation. Read ahead in the article to find out the important topics of each section that have been asked multiple times in the JEE examination.
Section-Wise High Weightage Topics
Our expert faculty of Chemistry researched a lot with previous year JEE papers and realized that some topics irrespective of their section were asked multiple times in JEE Mains as well as JEE Advanced. After a lot of discussions, they compiled a list of crucial topics in each section which are listed below. Read the important topics in each section carefully to get a decent score in Chemistry.
Organic chemistry, as previously said, is the most essential section of the JEE Chemistry paper. The Organic Chemistry section covers a wide range of subjects. This section’s questions aren’t particularly difficult, and some of them can be completed with only a simple understanding. If you have a firm grasp on the basics of Organic Chemistry then you can even solve the hard questions at your fingertips. The important topics for JEE Organic Chemistry are listed below with details:
- Nomenclature of Compounds: Nomenclature is the simplest and may be completed in a couple of seconds if the method of finding the name of an organic compound is well understood. It is one of the most essential topics for JEE chemistry because of its simplicity; if a question from this topic occurs, as it usually does, you can easily get 4 marks.
- Types of Reactions: This is another significant topic for JEE 2020 chemistry, with a larger weightage than many of the other sections. This topic’s questions are of moderate difficulty. This section contains all the reactions related to alcohols, aldehydes, carboxylic acids, esters, saturated and unsaturated compounds. However, pupils should have a strong understanding of the many sorts of reactions, and experience is required.
- Organic Synthesis: This is a collection of all the major organic chemistry topics for JEE, rather than a single topic. The questions are typical responses in which students must locate the finished product or any other missing data as specified in the question. This necessitates a thorough understanding of organic chemistry. Every year, approximately 3-4 questions about synthesis are asked.
- Polymers and biomolecules are the least significant chemistry topics in JEE for Organic Chemistry in terms of weightage. The problems are rarely asked from these areas, but if they are, they look to be simple and can be solved with simple understanding.
This section is primarily theoretical or conceptual in nature and does not include any numerical questions. NCERT books are the best approach to prepare for this exam. The questions are taken from any line of the NCERT textbook, and the responses are also taken from NCERT textbooks. From the standpoint of the exam, practically all of the topics are critical.
- s-Block and p-Block elements: The reactions and behaviour of S&P block elements can be used to create questions in this section. Every year, 1-2 questions of the paper are devoted to these topics.
- Periodic Table: The questions from the Periodic Table are the most basic and straightforward. Based on the organisation and behaviour of elements in the periodic table. The total number of questions is approximately 1. However, because they are simple, this article should be read-only once.
- Chemical Bonding is a crucial topic in JEE chemistry and should be studied thoroughly. It’s quite average, although the quantity of questions in this chapter is very high. The nature of the problems is conceptual, and they can be readily solved by applying various chemical bonding ideas such as hybridization, Fajan’s rule, and so on.
Physical Chemistry is the part in chemistry where you are asked questions based on numbers or formulas. According to the revised paper design, 5 questions in the JEE Chemistry section will be numerical questions, with 2-3 questions from physical chemistry expected to be included in those 5.
Due to the obvious altering of questions in the JEE exam each year and the restricted amount of topics, it is difficult to divide significant themes for this section. Almost all of the topics in this area are significant in their own right. The concept of mole, states of matter, freezing and boiling points, and other issues are among the most significant.
How to Study for High Weightage Chapter for JEE Chemistry 2022
Follow these steps listed below which were followed by the toppers of JEE Chemistry while preparation:
- Focus on High Scoring Chapters: We have already mentioned all the important chapters you need to focus on while preparing for JEE. Keep your primary goal to complete these chapters 2 months before the JEE exam.
- Solving Previous Year Papers: The best way to get a good score in Chemistry is to solve the questions from the previous 20 years’ actual JEE papers which are available online as well as in many of the reference books.
- Consistent Studies: While preparing for JEE, always be consistent. If you sway away for even a day then it will take more than 2 days to come back to your original speed. Every day dedicate 1 hour to study concepts and another additional hour for solving questions and doubt clearing.
As highlighted at the beginning of this article, Chemistry is the best friend of every JEE aspirant. It requires less effort to study Chemistry than Physics and Maths because many concepts can be learned through tips and tricks. You don’t have to memorize a lot of formulas and derivations. Just small concepts can help you bring enough marks to clear the sectional cutoff. The chapters mentioned in this article will surely help you get more than just the Chemistry cutoff. With enough and consistent practice, anyone can master Chemistry. Start your Chemistry preparation by studying Organic Chemistry first followed by Inorganic Chemistry and finally Numerical Chemistry. Before sitting in the actual JEE, solve a lot of questions from each chapter. Maybe you get lucky enough to find a question you practiced in the paper.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is studying aldehydes and ketones for JEE important?
Ans. Yes, Aldehydes and Ketones is one of the most essential (high weightage) chapters of JEE Main, as it is a part of Organic Chemistry, which accounts for more than a third of the paper.
What do the chapters with high weightage and low effort mean?
Ans. The High Weightage chapter means that it is amongst the most crucial set of chapters that will definitely appear in your JEE exam. To achieve a high exam result, aspirants must thoroughly complete these chapters.
Are these Chemistry chapters sufficient for passing the JEE main 2022 exam?
Ans. Based on prior papers, our specialists examined and listed these chapters as necessary for JEE, but not sufficient. To achieve higher JEE scores, you must prepare for all of the chapters.
How should these crucial chapters be prepared for JEE?
Ans. For JEE Main, you should concentrate on practicing as many questions as possible from the above-listed chapters. To achieve a score of 99 percentile in Chemistry in your JEE, practice all of the questions.
Leave a Reply