NCERT Solutions for Class 11 Physics Chapter 14 - Oscillations
In this chapter, we will learn about oscillation and oscillatory motion. We will learn the difference between periodic and oscillatory motion. The chapter also teaches us about simple harmonic motion and uniform circular motion. We will study the concepts of velocity and acceleration in simple harmonic motion. The chapter also elaborates on principles of force, and energy in simple harmonic motion. It concludes by telling us about the concepts of forced oscillations and resonance.
The chapter will then conclude by telling us briefly about the mean free path.
- Periodic to and fro motions are called oscillatory motions.
- A periodic motion is one that repeats at regular intervals.
- When a body is given a small displacement, a force comes into play attempting to bring the body back to the equilibrium position. This creates oscillations.
- We then study periods and frequencies.
- The chapter also explains displacement and its equations before moving on to simple harmonic motions.
- We learn equations and principles that are necessary to establish simple harmonic motions.
- Diagrammatic representation also explains how uniform circular motion on the diameter of a circle follows simple harmonic motion.
- We also read about velocity and acceleration in simple harmonic motion through numerical and diagrams.
- The chapter also illustrates how Newton's second law of motion is applicable on a particle undergoing simple harmonic motion.
- We also study the kinetic and potential energy of a particle in simple harmonic motion.
- The chapter portrays systems that displace simple harmonic movements like in springs and pendulums.
- Equations and diagrams also illustrate damped harmonic motion in the chapter.
- The chapter concludes by telling us about forced and free oscillations.
- The phenomenon where an increase in amplitude when the driving force is close to the natural frequency is called resonance.