JEE (Main) Entrance Exam
Earlier the JEE (Main) examination was being conducted as a pen and paper based test by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). From 2019 it has been conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) under the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India in two stages such as JEE (Main)-I and JEE (Main)-II in online mode.
The declared result is forwarded to the Central Seat Allocation Board (CSAB)/JoSAA or the concerned State government/ institute for Seat Allocation and admission process.
Qualifying JEE (Main) enables engineering aspirants for admission to the NITs, IIITs and CFTIs through Central Seat Allocation Board (CSAB) subject to specified conditions.
Schedule of JEE (Main) 2020 Computer Based Test-CBT
|Events||JEE (Main) - January 2020||JEE (Main) - April 2020|
|Online Registration Start Date||2nd September 2019||7th February 2020|
|Online Registration End Date||30th September 2019||7th March 2020|
|Downloading of Admit Cards||6th December 2019||16th March 2020|
|Dates of Examination||6th to 11th January 2020||3rd to 9th April 2020|
|Date of Announcing Results||31st January 2020||30th April 2020|
|Conducted By||National Testing Agency (NTA)||https://www.nta.ac.in/|
- Age: No age limit applies to JEE (Main). There is no age limit for appearing in JEE Main exam.
- Academics: Candidates must have passed class XII or equivalent exam in 2019 or 2020 or must be appearing in class XII or equivalent exam in 2020.
- Number of Attempts: Candidates are allowed to attempt JEE Main exam for three consecutive years in both sessions as appearing in both sessions in a single year will be counted as a single attempt.
- Subjects Covered: Candidates must have five subjects in class XII or equivalent including:
- A Language
- Any one of Chemistry/ Biology/ Biotechnology/ Technical Vocational Subject
- Any other subject
- Qualifying Score: For qualifying the JEE (Main) exam to get admission in IITs/ NITs/ IIITs and other CFTIs, the candidate must score:
- For general category students: Minimum aggregate of 75% marks or top 20 percentile in class XII of the respective board
- For SC/ST/PWD category students: Aggregate of at least 65% marks in class XII of the respective board
The JEE (Main) is conducted as two papers for various streams of engineering:
- Paper-I (B. E./B. Tech.)
- Paper-II (B. Arch./B. Planning)
The exam pattern for Paper-I (for B. E./ B.Tech. programs) constitutes:
|Conducted By||National Testing Agency (NTA)|
|Examination Mode||Computer Based Test (CBT) mode|
|Medium||English, Hindi, Gujarati|
|Timing of Examination||1st Shift||9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.|
|2nd shift||2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.|
|Type of Questions||20 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
5 Questions with Numerical Value Based Answers
|Marking Scheme for MCQs||4 marks for each correct answer
-1 mark for each incorrect answer
No mark for Unanswered / Marked for Review
|Marking Scheme for Numerical Value based Questions||4 marks for each correct answer
No mark for each incorrect answers and
Unanswered / Marked for Review questions
Subject wise distribution of Questions, Total Number of Questions and Marks as given below:
|Subject||Total No of Questions||Maximum
|MCQs||Numerical Value based
|Total||60 + 15 = 75*||300|
*20 questions will be MCQs and 5 questions will be based on numerical value for each subject.
For more information please visit: https://jeemain.nta.nic.in/webinfo/public/home.aspx