NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science Geography Chapter 5: Major Domains Of The Earth
In this chapter, we will learn about the different domains of the earth. We will study the different attributes of these domains, what they mean, how they sustain life, and their importance in our lives. We would also learn about different continents and their locations. This chapter also teaches us about the oceans on earth and where they are located too. Finally, the chapter tells us about that domain of earth where all life exists and thrives. The prominent points in the chapter to be noted include the following:
- There are three major domains of earth – land, air and water.
- The solid portion, or the land, is called the lithosphere. All continents lie on this domain.
- There are seven continents on this earth - Asia, Europe, Africa, North America, South America, Australia and Antarctica. This chapter gives us information about all these continents.
- The liquid part of the earth is commonly known as the hydrosphere. All the oceans lie in this domain.
- There are five oceans on this earth - the Pacific Ocean, the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Southern Ocean and the Arctic Ocean. We will learn about all these oceans in this chapter.
- Finally, the gaseous part of the earth is called the atmosphere. There are different layers of atmosphere on the earth which perform their functions.
- The chapter concludes by telling us about the biosphere.
- The biosphere is the place on earth where all domains – land, water and air, meet.
- Life exists in this biosphere.
- All living creatures are linked to each other, and this biosphere for their survival.