NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science Geography Chapter 1: The Earth In The Solar System
In this chapter, we would study astronomy. We would study the different objects in the sky and our solar system. The chapter also mentions different astronomical phenomena. We would also learn the difference between celestial bodies and stars, and the planets in our solar system. We also learn about the earth and its moon. The learning to takeaway from the chapter would be the following:
- The sun, the moon, and other objects we see in the night sky are called celestial bodies.
- Apart from the sun, we can also see other stars in the night sky. They are far from the earth, and thus, we cannot feel their heat.
- Groups of stars also form patterns in the sky. These are called constellations.
- The chapter tells us about how, in earlier times, people used the North Star or the Pole star to determine directions.
- Celestial bodies that do not generate their heat are called planets. Earth is also a planet.
- Moons of planets are called satellites.
- All celestial objects in the sky form the solar system.
- The chapter also tells us about the eight planets in our solar system and an easy way to remember them.
- Pluto used to be a planet but is now considered to be just a celestial object.
- All planets move along an orbit, which is a path around the sun that all planets follow.
- We also learn about other tiny objects in the sky like meteoroids and asteroids.
- The chapter concludes by telling us about galaxies and how millions of galaxies from the universe.