NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Science Chapter 5: Separation of Substances
The chapter talks about the separation of substances with daily life examples in the beginning so that students shall understand quickly. The importance of separation and the uses of separation are mentioned. To further simplify the process, the methods used to separate certain ingredients have likewise been explained. The way of separating different ingredients used in cooking or construction has a common name called "Sieving." The combination of various methods of separation to obtain results has also been briefed out. The chapter then ends with activities to test the solubility of certain materials in water.
- The chapter begins with the introduction of different materials such as Milk, curd, salt, sand, wheat, rice, etc.
- It also illustrates with examples the way of separation of certain materials.
- Tables are used to explain the process, purpose, and result of separating materials.
- Further, the chapter likewise shows the number of ways the separated materials can be used individually.
- Methods of Separation, such as thrashing, sieving, and winnowing, have been explained with the help of pictures.
- Students are asked to perform certain activities by which they will come to know about sedimentation, Decantation, and Filtration processes.
- The chapter also lays down examples of how more than one method of separation is used sometimes to separate certain materials.