NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Science Chapter 3: Fiber to Fabric
This chapter talks about the journey of fibre to the fabric. It outlines the method the fibre undergoes before turning into a cloth of fabric. The chapter narrates the story of two characters, namely Paheli and Boojho, who are confused over various clothes in the shop. To simplify the chapter, activities are mentioned to identify clothes in the surroundings like that of the tailor shop and such. A brief paragraph has been given that describes the origin of each fabric and the way natural, fibres were used by early civilisation. Fibre such as cotton is obtained from plants. The chapter concludes by depicting the earlier pattern of weaving and the developments bought with changing technology and times.
- The chapter begins with differentiating between various fibres.
- Plants that are used to obtain different kinds of fibre are depicted with pictures.
- To make the concept of fibre interesting, students are asked to perform activities, letting them understand the basics of fibre.
- Production of plant-based fibres is briefed out, and the climatic conditions required to grow a fibre have also been mentioned.
- The next step in turning cotton is weaving it into cotton balls, and then the next process is called "Ginning".
- The process of turning yarn to fabric has been shown with the help of pictures.
- Other activities teach the students the process of weaving the cloth and the pattern, which can be made.
- The historical record of how early civilisations used to wear clothes using leaves of trees has also been stated.
- The historical record of fibre is related to the new age use of fibre to turn into different kinds of fabric such as shirts, pants, jeans, saris, kurtas, etc. has been done.