This chapter starts with the introduction of various Indian food items by segregating them state wise. To minimise the entries in the list of food across states, only the important staple foods consumed are stated. The chapter further outlines the nutrients needed for our body. To make the chapter engaging, various simple activities have been mentioned to check the different food ingredients' nutrient levels. The food that we consume has nutrients that benefit our body. The chapter then shifts to various diseases caused by a deficiency of some nutrients.
- The chapter is based on food ingredients, the pattern of food consumption in various states.
- The benefits of various pulses, vegetables, grains, and seeds are mentioned.
- Popular food items of few states have been mentioned to remember and the benefits they offer.
- Various tables are used to separate the columns of vegetables, a staple like rice and wheat, seeds, oils, and fruits.
- Students are asked to perform certain activities by taking a few ingredients and mixing them with a solution such as salt to test the nutrient capacity of different ingredients
- The necessity of various nutrients has been further highlighted in the chapter
- The body's growth pattern and the nutrients that are essential for the human body have been discussed.
- To focus on the importance of nutrients, a chart has been used to depict the diseases caused by a deficiency of such nutrients.