NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science Geography Chapter 2: Globe Latitudes and Longitudes
Globe Latitudes and Longitudes Class 6 Geography Chapter 2 NCERT Solutions: The chapter begins with an introduction to globes, and we also get to read about the characteristics of globes. We learn about the axis of the earth and the equator. The chapter also tells us about the hemispheres and how to locate them using latitudes and longitudes. We also learn about how to read coordinates on a globe and how to locate different places on earth using the same. The chapter also mentions the different heat zones in the earth. We will also learn how to study time, according to longitudes. The important points that need to be remembered from the topic include:
- Globes are miniature models of the earth.
- We can locate the north and south pole with the help of the axis.
- The earth is divided into two halves by an imaginary line called the equator.
- Parallel lines above and below the equator are called latitudes.
- The chapter goes on to tell us about the coordinates of latitudes and how to read them.
- The chapter mentions the tropic of Cancer and the tropic of Capricorn and how they divide the earth into heat zones.
- Lines of references running from the north pole to the south pole are called longitudes. Longitudes are of the same length.
- We also read about the prime meridian and its coordinates.
- We can read the time according to this prime meridian.
- The chapter also tells us about how the earth's rotation affects time.
- The chapter concludes by telling us the importance of a standard time throughout the world.
- India has only one standard time, whereas countries like Russia have around eleven standard times.
Globe Latitudes and Longitudes Class 6 Geography Chapter 2 NCERT Question and Answers - Download PDF