NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science Civics Chapter 5: Panchayati Raj
In this chapter, we'll read about India's local governments, which is known as the Panchayati raj system. We begin the chapter with an example of the Panchayati Raj system in action. We will learn about how these systems are created and how decisions are made. The chapter also tells us about the different levels of gram panchayats, village governments, powers, and how they operate.
- The chapter begins by giving us a live example of a Gram Sabha meeting being held. We get to know about different roles like that of the Sarpanch and the Panch.
- This example tells us how decisions are taken in gram panchayats and the authority of the local government. The chapter further tells us about the functions of the Gram Panchayat and the Gram Sabha. It further tells us how the Gram Panchayat members discuss and debate issues before reaching a conclusion.
- The Panch usually presents the facts of the case and discusses it.
- The Sarpanch is responsible for giving his feedback and final decision.
- The members then vote on the decision. And finally, the secretary writes down the decision which consequently becomes binding.
- The next part of the chapter tells us about the different levels of the local government.
- There are different levels mentioned in the Panchayati raj system – the Gram Panchayat, the Gram Sabha, the Panchayat Samiti and the Zila Parishad.
- The highest authority is the Zila Parishad which operates at the district level.