NTA, aka the National Testing Agency, recently released the syllabus and exam pattern for CUET 2022. This exam was previously known as CUCET. It is held in various locations in our country. The main purpose of this examination is to help talented students get admitted into India’s most prestigious institutions. CUET’s full form is the Common University Entrance Test. It contains three sections, namely:
- Section 1: Languages
- Section 2: Domain-Specific Subjects
- Section 3: General Test
In this blog, we will be discussing the exam pattern while looking deeply at the domain-specific subject called Sociology.
Latest update on CUET 2022
Having an understanding of the latest update on CUET 2022 will help the students kickstart their learning journey. There will be updates every now and then, so the candidates are requested to follow up often.
Based on the latest update on the CUET 2022 exam, there will be two slots in which the entrance exam will be conducted. The time duration of the first slot is 45 to 195 minutes, while the second one’s duration is 45 to 225 minutes.
The following tabulation provides details regarding the revised exam pattern of CUET 2022:
CUET 2022 Exam Pattern
|Sections||Subjects or Tests||No. of questions asked||No. of questions to be attempted||Duration|
|Section IA||13 Languages||50||40 in each language||45 minutes for each language|
|Section IB||19 Languages|
|Section II||27 Domain-specific Subjects||50||40||45 minutes for each subject|
|Section III||General Test||75||60||60 minutes|
In the second section of the CUET examination, 27 domain-specific subjects are given. Let us see them below:
- Biology / Biological Studies
- Business Studies
- Biotechnology / Biochemistry
- Accountancy / Book-Keeping
- Computer Science / Informatics Practices
- Home Science
- Economics / Business Economics
- Engineering Graphics
- Geography / Geology
- Knowledge Tradition and Practices of India
- Political Science
- Environmental Science
- Legal Studies
- Physical Education / NCC / Yoga
- Teaching Aptitude
- Fine Arts / Visual Arts (Painting / Sculpture) / Commercial Arts
- Mass Communication/ Mass Media
- Performing Arts
- Dance (Odissi / Manipuri / Bharatnatyam / Kathak / Kathakali / Kuchipudi)
- Music General (Hindustani / Non-Percussion / Carnatic / Percussion / Rabindra / Sangeet)
- Drama – Theatre
- Sanskrit [For all Shastri (Shastri 4 years / 3 years Honours) Equivalent to B.A. / B.A. Honours courses, i.e., Prachin Vyakarana, Dharmashastra, Paurohitya (Karmakand), Shastri in Veda, Vastushastra, Navya Vyakarana, Puranetihas, Prakrit Bhasha, Sahitya, Jain Darshan, Siddhant Jyotish, Phalit Jyotish, Mimansa, Vishishtadvaita Vedanta, Prachin Nyaya Vaisheshik, Sarva Darshan, Advaita Vedanta, Sankhya Yoga, an applicant can choose Sanskrit as the domain]
If the candidates choose 2 languages in the first section, they can pick any 6 subjects provided in the domain-specific subjects section. Alternatively, if they choose 3 languages, they should choose only 5 subjects in the second section.
Watch: How is CUET 2022 expected to be helpful for a student? | Aakash BYJU’S
CUET 2022 – Sociology Syllabus
CUET Section II Sociology syllabus has been taken from some of the most important topics of the Class 12 NCERT textbook. The applicants who have already studied this subject in their higher secondary will have the edge over the other students since they have basic knowledge of the subject.
Furthermore, it is essential to understand the syllabus to prepare accordingly for the examination. A thorough understanding of the subject’s syllabus will play a major role in helping the candidates obtain maximum marks.
There are 10 units; they are:
- Unit 1 – Structure of Indian Society
- Unit 2 – Social Institutions: Continuity and Change
- Unit 3 – Social Inequality and Exclusion
- Unit 4 – The Challenges of Unity in Diversity
- Unit 5 – Process of Social Change in India
- Unit 6 – Social Change and the Polity
- Unit 7 – Social Change and the Economy
- Unit 8 – Arenas of Social Change
- Unit 9 – New Arenas of Social Change
- Unit 10 – Social Movements
Let us see the specific topics included in those 10 units in the CUET Sociology below:
Unit I: Structure of Indian Society
- Introducing Indian Society: Colonialism, Nationalism, Class, and Community
- Demographic Structure
- Rural-Urban Linkages and Divisions
Unit II: Social Institutions: Continuity and Change
- Family and Kinship
- The Caste System
- Tribal Society
- The Market as a Social Institution
Unit III: Social Inequality and Exclusion
- Caste Prejudice, Scheduled Castes, and Other Backward Classes
- The marginalisation of Tribal Communities
- The Struggle for Women’s Equality
- The Protection of Religious Minorities
- Caring for the Differently Abled
Unit IV: The Challenges of Unity in Diversity
- Problems of Communalism, Regionalism, Casteism, and Patriarchy
- Role of the State in a Plural, an Unequal Society
- What We Share
Unit V: Process of Social Change in India
- Process of Structural Change: Colonialism, Industrialisation, Urbanisation
- Process of Cultural Change: Modernisation, Westernisation, Sanskritisation, Secularisation
- Social Reform Movements and Laws
Unit VI: Social Change and the Polity
- The Constitution as an instrument of Social Change
- Parties, Pressure Groups, and Democratic Politics
- Panchayati Raj and the Challenges of Social Transformation
Unit VII: Social Change and the Economy
- Land Reforms, the Green Revolution, and Agrarian Society
- From Planned Industrialisation to Liberalisation
- Changes in the Class Structure
Unit VIII: Arenas of Social Change
- Media and Social Change
- Globalisation and Social Change\
Unit IX: New Arenas of Social Change
- Media and Social Change
- Globalization and Social Change
Unity X: Social Movements
- Class-Based Movements: Workers, Peasants
- Caste-Based Movements: Dalit Movement, Backward Castes, Trends in Upper Caste Responses
- Women’s Movements in Independent India
- Tribal Movements
- Environmental Movements
CUET 2022 Exam Pattern
Before looking at the Sociology exam pattern, in particular, let us understand what the CUET exam pattern of the entire CUET 2022 exam looks like in the following tabulation:
|Section||Subjects/ Tests||Questions to
|Any of the 13 languages can be chosen||The students should attempt 40 questions out of the given 50||Language skills are tested through various forms of reading comprehension essays such as literary, factual and narrative. [Literary Aptitude and Vocabulary]||The time allotted for this section is 45 minutes for each language.|
|It is an optional section. The candidates can select any languages in this section apart from the ones offered in Section IA. There are 19 languages in this section.|
|Section II – Domain-specific test||There are 27 domain-specific subjects present in this section (along with Sociology), in which the candidates have the choice of selecting up to 6 subjects.||The students should attempt 40 questions out of the given 50||In this section, there will only be MCQs asked based on the Class 12 NCERT syllabus.||The time allotted for this section is 45 minutes for each domain-specific subject.|
|Section III –
|It is a common test, and many universities in our country use it as an entrance exam for admitting new students||The students should attempt 60 questions out of the given 75||Some of the topics are: General Knowledge, General Mental Ability, Numerical Ability, Current Affairs, Quantitative Reasoning (Simple application of mathematical concepts), Logical and Analytical Reasoning||The time allotted for this section is 60 minutes|
CUET 2022 – Sociology Exam Pattern
The following tabulation gives details regarding the exam pattern of CUET 2022 Sociology:
|Particulars||Details of Exam Pattern|
|Full Name||Common Universities Entrance Test|
|Section Name||Section II – Domain-Specific Subjects|
|Medium of Instruction||13 Languages ( Tamil, English, Telugu, Bengali, Malayalam, Gujarati, Urdu, Kannada, Odia, Hindi, Punjabi, Marathi, and Assamese)|
|Total no. of questions asked in the Sociology examination||50 questions|
|Total no. of questions that need to be answered in the Sociology examination||40 questions|
|Total marks for the Sociology exam||200|
|Question Type||Objective Type (MCQs)|
|Exam Duration of Sociology||45 minutes|
|Mode of the Exam||Computer Based Test (CBT)|
|Frequency of the Exam||Once a year|
|Marking Scheme||Marks allocated for every correct answer: +5|
|Marks allocated for every wrong answer: – 1|
|Marks allocated for every unanswered question: 0|
Marking Scheme of CUET 2022 Sociology
The candidates should have a detailed understanding of the marking scheme of the Sociology subject in the CUET 2022 exam. The marking system for both the slots (Slot 1 and Slot 2) is the same.
Moreover, a good preparation strategy can help the candidates obtain higher marks. The students can make a list of concepts they need to cover for the exam and start preparing for it accordingly. In addition, there are various learning techniques they can use, along with some strategies and tips.
NTA grades the CUET candidates in the following manner:
- Correct Answer: 5 marks will be awarded
- Wrong Answer: 1 mark will be deducted
- No Answer: 0 marks awarded/deducted
Due to negative marking, the students need to be very careful of that. In order to avoid negative marking, they should consider attempting the questions to which they know the exact answer.
1. What are the main topics in the CUET Sociology exam?
There are 10 units, and the questions can be asked from all those chapters. Let us see what they are:
1. Structure of Indian Society
2. Social Institutions: Continuity and Change
3. Social Inequality and Exclusion
4. The Challenges of Unity in Diversity
5. Process of Social Change in India
6. Social Change and the Polity
7. Social Change and the Economy
8. Arenas of Social Change
9. New Arenas of Social Change
10. Social Movements
2. Give an overview of CUET Sociology.
Sociology is the main branch contained in Social Science. It mainly discusses human interactions, societies, and the processes and procedures that influence them.
In CUET 2022, there are 10 units in Sociology, and the candidates should know about all those topics in order to secure maximum marks. This subject is one of the 27 domain-specific subjects asked in Section II.
3. Who are all eligible to write the CUET 2022 examination?
Any candidate who has passed the 12th grade or written any equivalent examination is eligible to appear for the CUET exam. The NTA mentions no such age criteria. However, every university has its specific demands. So, the students who cleared the CUET exam must also consider that.
4. How difficult is the CUET exam?
Generally, according to the students, this exam is not hard. However, to obtain higher marks, every student must work for it. There will not be an issue as long as they are well-prepared and ready to take the examination.
The students should thoroughly utilise the NCERT textbooks for each domain-specific subject to obtain their dream scores, as it will earn them admission to any of India’s most reputed institutions for their undergraduate program.
5. How many educational institutions consider the CUET exam for gaining admission?
The University Grants Commission (UGC) has decided to consider the CUET exam for obtaining admission into the government universities for UG students. This exam is only for Indian universities, and about 45 public universities have accepted it. It will increase further in the upcoming years. The main purpose of this exam is to create a foundational pathway for UG students to pursue their dream at India’s renowned institutions at lower costs.
Sociology is one of the 27 domain-specific subjects given in CUET Section II. To prepare well for the Sociology exam, the students should have detailed knowledge of the syllabus and the exam pattern. They should know what units and chapters are included, with which they can prepare accordingly.
Therefore, from this exclusive article, the students can obtain knowledge and use it to prepare for their examinations.