The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) Exam is an entrance test that is taken for those who are willing to pursue a degree in medicine and dental studies. A candidate’s NEET score determines whether they are eligible to get admitted to a medical college.
NEET counselling is the process by which eligible candidates are allotted seats in medical and dental colleges across India for undergraduate (UG) and postgraduate (PG) courses based on their NEET scores.
NEET Counselling Process
The counselling process is conducted by the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) on behalf of the Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) for the 15% All India Quota (AIQ) seats. The remaining 85% of the state quota seats in government colleges will be managed and allotted by state counselling bodies. These seats will be allotted based on students’ scores and ranks obtained in the NEET 2024 exam. The state counselling body will also be responsible for providing admission to private medical/dental schools in a particular state.
NEET UG counselling 2023 – Overview
|Conducting Bodies||AIQ- By Directorate General of Health Sciences (DGHS) for the National Medical Council
State Quota – Respective state authorities
|Counselling Website||AIQ- mcc.nic.in
State Quota – Given in the table below on this page
|Seat Intake||AIQ – 15% of Govt Seats, 100% of Deemed and Central University seats, ESIC, AFMC, AIIMS and JIPMER seats
State Quota – 85% of Govt seats, 100% of private seats of the state
NEET 2023 Counselling Scheme
The Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) will conduct four rounds of counselling: AIQ Round 1, AIQ Round 2, AIQ Mop-up Round, and stray vacancy Round. Candidates who qualify as part of the All India Quota will be eligible based on their NEET results 2023, other than the Union Territory of J&K. If seats remain vacant after round 2 of NEET 2023 counselling in AIQ, they will be sent back to the states.
NEET Counselling 2023: Eligibility Criteria
- All those candidates who qualify for the NEET will be eligible to apply for NEET 2023 counselling
- Jammu and Kashmir candidates will also be eligible to participate in the All India NEET counselling
- The AIQ counselling for Deemed Universities will be open to all NEET-qualified candidates.
|Exam Purpose||Eligible for medical aspirants ( BDS, MBBS)|
|Highest qualification||12th Standard (10+2)|
|Age||The candidate should be between the age of 17 and above|
|Stream of Study||Science stream|
|Compulsory subjects||Physics, Chemistry, Biology|
|Number of attempts||The candidate can appear for exam multiple times however should be within the given age range|
|Exam Eligible for (nationality)||Indians, Non-Resident Indians (NRI), Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) Persons of Indian Origin (PIO)|
NEET 2023 Counselling Process: Step-by-Step Procedure
MCC will conduct NEET-UG 2023 counselling for AIQ in four rounds, including a mop-up round and a stray vacancy round. Here are the complete counselling steps that students need to follow:
Step 1: Complete the MCC NEET registration process, including payment.
Step 2: NEET 2023 counselling choice filling and locking
Step 3: Round 1 seat allotment and result announcement
Step 4: Reporting to the allotted Medical/Dental College (option for free entry/exit)
Step 5: Round 2 net vacant seats are declared
Step 6: NEET counselling round 2 registrations (not necessary for already registered candidates) and fresh choice filling for NEET counselling round 2
Step 7: Round 2 of seat allocation (exit with forfeiture of security amount option available)
Step 8: Reporting to medical/dental colleges/institutions in preparation for round 2 (candidates once joined the allotted seat are not allowed to vacate the seat)
NEET UG Counselling 2023: List of Documents Required
- NEET UG admit card, rank card
- Photograph of the candidate
- Signature of the candidate
- DOB Certificate (10th pass certificate)
- Qualification Certificate (12th Mark sheet or Certificate)
- Category certificate (Other than general)
- Character certificate
- Medical Fitness certificate
- Identity proof (Aadhaar Card/Passport/Voter ID /Pan Card/Driving License/Ration Card)
NEET UG Counselling 2023: List of Documents Required by NRI/ OCI Candidates
- Passport copy of sponsored, embassy certificate
- Sponsorship affidavit (stating that the sponsorer is ready to bear the expenses for the whole duration of the study)
- Relationship Affidavit (Relation of Candidate with the sponsored)
NEET 2023 Counselling Fees
The NEET counselling fee for 2023 is provided in the table below as the fee for 2023 is still to be announced:
|Category||Non-Refundable Registration Fee||Refundable Tuition Fee|
|–||15% AIQ/ Central Universities||Deemed Universities||15% AIQ/ Central Universities||Deemed Universities|
|INR 10,000||INR 2,00,000|
|SC/ST/OBC/PwD||INR 500||INR 5,000||INR 5,000||INR 2,00,000|
Frequently Asked Questions on NEET 2023 Counselling
What is NEET Counselling?
NEET Counselling is the process of seat allotment to qualified candidates in various medical colleges across India. It is conducted by the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) on behalf of the Medical Counselling Committee (MCC).
Who is eligible for NEET Counselling?
Candidates who have qualified NEET exam and meet the eligibility criteria for admission to MBBS/BDS courses can participate in NEET Counselling.
What is the eligibility criteria for NEET Counselling?
The eligibility criteria for NEET Counselling include passing the NEET exam, securing the minimum qualifying percentile, and fulfilling the age limit, nationality, and other requirements as specified by the authorities.
What are the steps involved in NEET Counselling?
The steps involved in NEET Counselling include:
• Online Registration
• Choice Filling and Locking
• Seat Allotment
• Document Verification
• Reporting to the allotted College
How is the seat allotment done in NEET Counselling?
The seat allotment in NEET Counselling is done based on the rank secured by the candidates, their choices, and the availability of seats.
Is there any counselling fee for NEET Counselling?
Yes, candidates have to pay a counselling fee to participate in NEET Counselling. The fee varies depending on the category of the candidate and the number of rounds of counselling.
How many rounds of counselling are conducted in NEET Counselling?
The number of rounds of counselling in NEET Counselling varies depending on the availability of seats. Usually, there are two rounds of counselling followed by a mop-up round if needed.
What is the difference between All India Quota Counselling and State Counselling in NEET Counselling?
All India Quota Counselling is conducted for 15% of the total seats in all government medical and dental colleges across India, excluding Jammu and Kashmir. State Counselling is conducted for the remaining 85% of the seats in government and private medical and dental colleges in each state.
What is the NEET Seat Allotment letter?
NEET seat allotment letter is a document required to complete the admission process.once the seat allotment process is completed, a candidate is given NEET seat allotment letter. If the candidate is satisfied with the designated seat in the designated college, he/she can download the letter and report to the allotted college for document verification.
What happens when the caste certificate is not available during the NEET counselling?
The authorities cancel the student's candidature under the caste reservation, and the student is considered a candidate in the general category. If his/her merit is up to the required mark, then a college is awarded.
What happens if I do not get a seat through NEET counseling?
If a candidate does not get a seat through NEET counseling, they can explore other options like participating in subsequent counseling rounds, applying for management quota seats, or considering alternative courses or colleges based on their preferences.