Application and Admission Process of Tamil Nadu MBBS 2017

Tamil Nadu MBBS/BDS Admission 2017 will be done through NEET 2017 which is an all India level eligibility test; thus it is compulsory for the candidates to appear and qualify the single window entrance examination-NEET. The MBBS/BDS aspirants from Tamil Nadu have to fill online NEET 2017 application form.

Salient features of Tamil Nadu MBBS Admission 2017
  • Entrance Exam – There is no state specific entrance exam as the admission is being provided on the basis of NEET 2017
  • Counselling Body – Selection Committee Directorate of Medical Education, Chennai
  •  Courses offered – MBBS and BDS
  • Duration of the course:
  • MBBS – 4 and a half year + 1 year all India internship
  • BDS – 4 years + 1 year of the rotational internship
Merit List for Tamil Nadu through NEET 2017
  • The merit list of Tamil Nadu will be prepared from NEET 2017 Merit List.
  • The Merit list is prepared by Central Board using Scorecard of NEET UG Entrance Test 2017.
  • It will reflect the marks secured by the candidates in the chronological order.
  • It will be issued category wise. The merit list of the Tamil Nadu MBBS 2017 will be prepared keeping the reservation in view offered to all the category candidates.
  • The counseling will be conducted based upon the Rank obtained in NEET-2017.
  • In case of same rank being obtained by more than one candidate, the marks obtained in Physics, Chemistry, Biology in the qualifying examination shall be considered.
Selection Procedure

To be eligible for admission in MBBS/BDS programme, it is necessary for the candidates to pass NEET. Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) & Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) are the authorities that conduct counselling for admission to 15% all India quota seats. Seat allotment will be carried out on the basis of candidate’s scores in entrance test

State-wise Eligibility for 85% Seats Quota

All the states participating in the NEET 2017 will fill their 85% seats of MBBS/BDS Dental through state counselling, while the remaining 15% of the seats will be filled through All India centralized counselling. The eligibility for the 85% quota seats of the states are mentioned below:

  • Candidates must have completed/appearing his/her 10th and 12th from the state.
  • Candidate must possess a valid domicile of the state.
  • Candidate should posses a residency proof of the state.

There are total 6560 MBBS and 100 BDS Government seats in Tamil Nadu. Out of this 85% is state quota all the reservation offered to the different categories comes under the State Quota only.

Reservation of the Seats

Given below is the reservation offered to the different category candidates

Category Percentage of reservation
Open Competition: 31%
Backward Class: 30%
Most Back ward Class: 20%
Scheduled Caste: 18%
Scheduled Tribe: 1%

Counselling for MBBS/ BDS Admission 2017 in Tamil Nadu

The marks or the score obtained in NEET will be taken as cut off marks for counseling. The registration procedure for the admission is expected to commence in the month of June and thereafter the counselling schedule will be issued. The Selection Committee Directorate of Medical Education, Chennai will conduct the counselling to allocate the seats for the state quota candidates.

The selection will be made on merit basis and by counselling applying the rule of reservation by the Government of Tamil Nadu. Mostly colleges are affiliated under Dr. M.G.R. Medical University, Chennai. The Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University is located in Southern part of the City of Chennai (formerly Madras) in the State of Tamil Nadu in South India. It is one of the premier Medical Universities of India named after the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, late Dr.M.G.Ramachandran (M.G.R) and is the second largest Health Sciences University in India.

DIGITAL PLATFORMS

Break free from your local average tuitions and the constraints of lack of good study material - get Aakash high-quality lectures and Study material right on your fingertips.

Get live interactive classes online by top Aakash faculty at the comfort of your home.